What's new

4K not working on Samsung U28D590D

Matt Abar

I have the Surface Pro 3 i7 512K. I am connecting to a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor via a display port cable. The maximum resolution it allows me is 2560 x 1440. My understanding is that it should be able to use the full 4K resolution of 3840 x 2160.

I have restarted and done the Windows update. I have also tried plugging the display port cable directly into the tablet, and into the docking station. Nothing has worked.

So how do I get this working?

Last edited:
OP
M

Matt Abar

Yes, when I select the highest available resolution (2560 x 1440) it does work. However, I should be able to select the true 4K resolution of 3840 x 2160, which is the goal of my post.

I ordered the DisplayPort cable from Amazon a week ago, it had no version number. Do I need a 1.2 cable? I'm happy to order another if that helps.

And yes, right-clicking the desktop and selecting screen resolution is how I'm seeing the available screen resolutions.

Last edited:

Spitnik

I have the same monitor and experienced the same issue. I am not sure whether the fault lies with the monitor or the SP3.

But there is hope. Surprisingly, however, I do get 4K resolution if I connect the monitor via one of the monitor's HDMI ports when connecting the SP3 with a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

Note that you will not get more than 30 Hz at 4K resolution, both due to the maximum monitor frequency supported by the built-in Intel graphics of the SP3 and also due to inherent limitations of the current HDMI protocol (no matter what graphics processor is driving it, SP3 or something higher end).

While 30 Hz was not a problem for me visually, what I found surprising was how awful it is for mouse cursor control.

iDatus

there are posts on this subject but thanks for the extra info.
some people can get 4k outputs with mini dp to hdmi converts and some can't even with same cable.
this is because you need an active converter not a passive one.
here is what I read you need.
Its on amazon usa but not uk.
You may find an apple thunderbolt one may work which has similar properties but im not expert on apple products.

note:read you may need a very high speed hdmi cable as well.

I have the exact same monitor, SP3 i7 512Gb with minDP-DP, with Intel driver v10.18.10.3910, and I can get 3840x2160@36p (at 38p screen flickers occur) and 3200x1800@54p.
Drivers must be installed through, Device Manager and updated through have disk setup.
Custom resolutions must be added through Intel Control or Surface Tweak Tool.
On the monitor properties, clear the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display", and on the Adapter tab in "List All Modes", you can select the custom resolutions.

markupstart

I have the exact same monitor connected with a mini-displayport to displayport cable to my monitor. I was able to get a resolution of 3840x2160 at 50hz; timing standard: CVT-RB. I used the Intel drivers and created a custom resolution through the Intel Graphics Control Panel . I don't have any flickering at all, so far so good. I also have a 1920x1080 monitor hooked up as well. one through the docking station and one directly connected to the surface pro. I have an I5 Surface Pro 3.

I have the exact same monitor connected with a mini-displayport to displayport cable to my monitor. I was able to get a resolution of 3840x2160 at 50hz; timing standard: CVT-RB. I used the Intel drivers and created a custom resolution through the Intel Graphics Control Panel . I don't have any flickering at all, so far so good. I also have a 1920x1080 monitor hooked up as well. one through the docking station and one directly connected to the surface pro. I have an I5 Surface Pro 3.

Thank you, I can confirm that using the CVT-RB setting I now have the SP3 i7 512Gb running 3840x2160@50Hz with miniDisplayPort on the Samsung 4K without any hitches.

rquellet

I have the exact same monitor, SP3 i7 512Gb with minDP-DP, with Intel driver v10.18.10.3910, and I can get 3840x2160@36p (at 38p screen flickers occur) and 3200x1800@54p.
Drivers must be installed through, Device Manager and updated through have disk setup.
Custom resolutions must be added through Intel Control or Surface Tweak Tool.
On the monitor properties, clear the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display", and on the Adapter tab in "List All Modes", you can select the custom resolutions.

Thank you for sharing these steps. I tried it on a co-worker's monitor at work and it worked after a little fiddling. After creating the custom resolution in Intel's graphics panel, I tried to apply the resolution and it didn't do anything. I then re-read your instructions and cleared "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" in the standard Windows screen resolution dialog, selected the new resolution, and it worked.

For reference, I'm running these settings:
3840 x 2160 @ 50Hz with CVT-RB timing with Intel driver v10.18.10.3960.

I found this monitor on sale at Best Buy for $480 and picked it up the same night.

Thanks again!

fee

Hi. So I am considering maybe buying this 4k monitor. I have the SP3 i7 512. I am going to buy a miniDP to DP 1.2 cable as well. Just wondering, this is with the Intel HD 5000, correct? And you downloaded the Intel Driver v10.18.10.3960. Then went to Device Manager, updated the driver from file. Then how do I get to the Intel Graphics Panel/Intel Control or the Surface Tweak Tool? (Can you only see this when you have the monitor plugged in and updated the driver or do I need to download something else?) Thanks! :)

Also, if anyone has a photo of what the screen looks like when it's connected to their SP3, would be cool too :)

Current driver: 10.18.10.3496

Last edited:

RIM

I got the Samsung U28D590D working at 4k with a SP3 i7, but it was not very easy. I could not make it work with a single mini-DP to DP cable, I had to interpose a mini-DP to DP/HDMI converter box (I used an inexpensive monoprice one) and then the connection ran: sp3 => mini-DP cable => monoprice converter => DP cable =>Samsung. I installed the 3960 drivers, you need to download the drivers, unzip them, then control panel, device manager, display adapter, upgrade driver, browse my computer, [key step:] "let me pick a list of device drivers", select intel 5000, then "have disk", windows will prompt you to insert a floppy disk into the A: drive, then browse to where the drivers are unzipped and select the .inf file.

After that it was a couple of reboots, and managing and setting resolutions for the two displays. Windows has the stupid arrangement where the windows built-in display manger appears to cover pretty much the same functions as the custom intel graphics panel, but both gui front-ends appear to work. After all the installation rigamarole everything is stable and the configuration is fine through reboots and hot plugging / unplugging the mini-dp cable to take the SP3 to and from the couch.

The Samsung monitor looks great at 4k. Aside from the troubles getting it installed, I'm very happy with it.

ptrkhh

Just a quick question, what is the limitation of a generic miniDP cable? Is it sufficient for my 2560x1080 monitor?

If Im going to use it with 4K in a year or two, is it better to buy the better cable now, or to buy it later next year or two when the price went down? What should I find in the specification? Is DisplayPort 1.2 enough?

Does the i3 SP3 support 4K output by the way? I might exchange it for an i5/128 though.