What's new

4K not working on Samsung U28D590D

fee

I got the Samsung U28D590D working at 4k with a SP3 i7, but it was not very easy. I could not make it work with a single mini-DP to DP cable, I had to interpose a mini-DP to DP/HDMI converter box (I used an inexpensive monoprice one) and then the connection ran: sp3 => mini-DP cable => monoprice converter => DP cable =>Samsung. I installed the 3960 drivers, you need to download the drivers, unzip them, then control panel, device manager, display adapter, upgrade driver, browse my computer, [key step:] "let me pick a list of device drivers", select intel 5000, then "have disk", windows will prompt you to insert a floppy disk into the A: drive, then browse to where the drivers are unzipped and select the .inf file.

After that it was a couple of reboots, and managing and setting resolutions for the two displays. Windows has the stupid arrangement where the windows built-in display manger appears to cover pretty much the same functions as the custom intel graphics panel, but both gui front-ends appear to work. After all the installation rigamarole everything is stable and the configuration is fine through reboots and hot plugging / unplugging the mini-dp cable to take the SP3 to and from the couch.

The Samsung monitor looks great at 4k. Aside from the troubles getting it installed, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks RIM. Do you think this would be the same trouble with all 4k displays?

Eldergeek

Geez, I gotta ask: what the heck are u guys doing with a 4K 28"monitor with the Sp3? It ain't gaming is it? How are u getting decent frame rates with any of the 4K capable games out there? On board graphics just don't and won't give you decent ( say...20fps or better, which is still subpar) frame rates...Do I do 4K? Yes but its not using my sp3...its using my gaming rig with dual 4K capable video cards capable of 4k with frame rates of 30fps or better(mostly better!)..using the Asus PB287Q...mind you it's still a TN panel ( and so is the Samsung), but it is capable of 10 bit color. I looked at almost a half dozen 4K panels, and until someone can come up with something bigger than the weeney 28" TN panels (I want something at least 32" with a quality IPS panel for color quality and off axis viewing), for the SP3, I'll stick with the LG34UM95...until I find the "perfect" monitor...But seriously, you guys doing Adobe stuff or video rendering or some such...with a TN panel? How do you calibrate the color accurately? Enquiring minds want to know...

rquellet

Geez, I gotta ask: what the heck are u guys doing with a 4K 28"monitor with the Sp3? It ain't gaming is it? How are u getting decent frame rates with any of the 4K capable games out there? On board graphics just don't and won't give you decent ( say...20fps or better, which is still subpar) frame rates...Do I do 4K? Yes but its not using my sp3...its using my gaming rig with dual 4K capable video cards capable of 4k with frame rates of 30fps or better(mostly better!)..using the Asus PB287Q...mind you it's still a TN panel ( and so is the Samsung), but it is capable of 10 bit color. I looked at almost a half dozen 4K panels, and until someone can come up with something bigger than the weeney 28" TN panels (I want something at least 32" with a quality IPS panel for color quality and off axis viewing), for the SP3, I'll stick with the LG34UM95...until I find the "perfect" monitor...But seriously, you guys doing Adobe stuff or video rendering or some such...with a TN panel? How do you calibrate the color accurately? Enquiring minds want to know...

The reason I need a 4k monitor is because Windows 8.1 is terrible at handling multiple DPI's between monitors on desktop programs. A 28 inch 4k monitor works well at. 150-175% DPI scaling - the same range of DPI scaling that the Surface's screen works well at. If I lock my DPI at one of these numbers, everything's crisp no matter the screen. No more logging off/ logging in to fix blurry desktop apps!

I would definitely prefer a nice IPS panel over a TN panel. I am still struggling with the shift in Gamma (color-shift) when moving my head an inch or more. It's also disconcerting to see solid colors turn into gradient's because of viewing angle - even straight on.

I am going to have a chance to try a new Dell 24" 4k IPS screen tomorrow and I might decide to buy it instead if it behaves well with a custom resolution to get 50Hz 4k (some Surface owners are able to get 60Hz 4k with the Dell 32" 4k). They have a 24" and a 27" model:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=860-BBFF
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-ADOF

Priced within reach at $600 and $700 respectively.

Enrico D.

by the way, I have some question for you, I'm using an LG 30' 2560x1600 and is 60hz, and I use this since 5 years, is the best monitor ever to work with lot of space.

I was attracted from 4K to get more space, and because are more cheap than 30 inch 2560x1600 (Dell, Lg usually over 1000 euro).

So I tested a 39 inch led tv blaupunkt, but experience was terrible because I could just have 30hz with hdmi, too many bugs to resolve and I think that after work in 60hz, 30hz is really impossible.

So other solution was to test some cheap 28 like samsung, asus that are 28 inch. Problem is that is too small the screen to work with native 4k resolution to surf in internet, so I guess that even this is not better of my current 2560x1600 display, because if have to scale to make bigger the screen I will lose space, so at the end my set up remain the best.

what you think? and why you are going 50hz with your custom set up and not 60hz?

rquellet

by the way, I have some question for you, I'm using an LG 30' 2560x1600 and is 60hz, and I use this since 5 years, is the best monitor ever to work with lot of space.

I was attracted from 4K to get more space, and because are more cheap than 30 inch 2560x1600 (Dell, Lg usually over 1000 euro).

So I tested a 39 inch led tv blaupunkt, but experience was terrible because I could just have 30hz with hdmi, too many bugs to resolve and I think that after work in 60hz, 30hz is really impossible.

So other solution was to test some cheap 28 like samsung, asus that are 28 inch. Problem is that is too small the screen to work with native 4k resolution to surf in internet, so I guess that even this is not better of my current 2560x1600 display, because if have to scale to make bigger the screen I will lose space, so at the end my set up remain the best.

what you think? and why you are going 50hz with your custom set up and not 60hz?

The Surface Pro 3 doesn't have the bandwidth required to run 4k at 60hz through its mini DisplayPort output. 50hz is a compromise to run at 4k as 4k 50hz is just under the maximum bandwidth supported by the Surface's mini DisplayPort output.
The main reason I need a 4k monitor is to run the Surface and external monitor at the same DPI so there are no blurry scaling issues.

BrandonLive

The Surface Pro 3 doesn't have the bandwidth required to run 4k at 60hz through its mini DisplayPort output. 50hz is a compromise to run at 4k as 4k 50hz is just under the maximum bandwidth supported by the Surface's mini DisplayPort output.
The main reason I need a 4k monitor is to run the Surface and external monitor at the same DPI so there are no blurry scaling issues.

That's untrue, at least for some (MST) monitors. Even the i5 SP3 can run a 4k display at 60hz over DP1.2. I've been doing this for quite a while now.

The caveat is that back when this thread was started, the driver that MS was distributing over WU didn't support MST+DP1.2 well at all. But if you'd installed Intel's latest (or beta/leaked) driver back then, it worked fine. Eventually MS updated the driver on WU and I think these days you don't need to do anything special to get 4k working, at least on monitors like the Dell UP2414Q that I have.

I haven't personally tried it with an SST 4k display, so it'd be good to hear if that's working for anyone. I've read accounts of people getting it to do 4k at 50hz with that kind of display. I guess I'll see when my coworker gets a P2715Q soon. I'm hopeful it'll do 60hz with the recent drivers, but if not, 50hz should be workable.

TJB

How to get 4k @50 Hz with Surface Pro 3 i5 and Samsung U28d590d connected via docking station with a DisplayPort 1.2 (mini display port to display port) cable:

1. Uninstall the current Intel display drivers via Device Manager
2. Your screen should go black. Hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, wait a few seconds, then boot it back up.
3. Go back into device manager, and the display adapter should now be something like "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"
4. Right click and update the driver software (via the internet). It should automatically find and install the latest Intel drivers, which allow you to access the Intel HD Graphics Control Pannel
5. If you have installed the drivers successfully, you should have "Grapics Options" and "Graphics Properties" be an option when you right click on the desktop.

Creating a custom resolution:

1. Browse to C:/windows/system32/CustomModeApp, open the .exe file.
2. Click "Yes" in the window that pops up
3. Select the "Digital Display U28D590" from the drop down menu on the left
4. Create a custom resolution in the Window (width = 3840, Height = 2160, Refresh rate = 50).
5. Timing standard should be set to CVT-RB
6. Click Add
7. Close the Custom resolution program
8. Right click on the desktop and select "Graphics Properties"
9. Within the Graphics Control Panel, Select "Display"
10. Select the "Digital Display U28D590" from the drop down menu on the left
11. Change the resolution to the new one you just created (3840x2160) and the Refresh Rate to 50 Hz
12. Apply the profile, and you should be good to go.

I have not used this method to attempt 60 Hz refresh rate, only 50. The system may become unstable at 60.