What's new

5 in 1 Surface Adapter - Legit!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Have you tried using extra power via the Micro USB?

That is a really good point. The hub may not be able to provide enough juice to power the peripherals. Just like any other USB port you may need to plug it in so it is powered. The micro USB port on the pack might be a way to provide extra power to it. Use a phone charger or something similar plugged into the wall and to the Micro usb port. It defeats the cool sleek purpose of the design but if you are using it for docking type purposes it may work.

JP

ArnoldC

Works fine with USB Flash Drives, but tried 6 External Drives (2.0) .....Does not recognize them on my Surface Pro....also, fine with an ethernet dongle..; does not recognize an external 3.0 drive. BTW, all drives are recognized by the Surface Pro USB connection... Alas, but will keep it.

The device itself consumes power, and in additon, it may *NOT* be passing enough power to external devices anymore, hence the experience you stated.

camis1

The device itself consumes power, and in additon, it may *NOT* be passing enough power to external devices anymore, hence the experience you stated.

A caveat should be in order from the manufacturer: not intended for external drives usb 2.0 or 3.0. I will still keep it!

T

TheConstruct

Can you elaborate on that....

Part of the USB 'handshake' is about power. I am paraphrasing poorly here but. The device asks for x amount of power and if the hub says 'I don't have that much', the device will not initialize. Or something like that. The Manufactures Site states that the Micro USB port on the side is for charging. It stands to reason that it would pass power to the inserted devices. (Not sure why but I am unable to insert line breaks.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Omni

Ive just tried my 2.5" hd in the adapter and it didn't power on. It lit up but the drive didn't spin up. I tried plugging in my phone charger and the hard drive spun up immediately. The device itself must drain a bit of power as there was nothing else plugged in at the same time...

Not a massive problem for me but it is a little annoying but something I guess they couldn't help. (You cant add line breaks because you have Enhanced Interface enabled.)

T

TheConstruct

(You cant add line breaks because you have Enhanced Interface enabled.)

Bummer. The OSKB will not say up unless that in enabled. One more reason to get a TypeCover. #NeedMonies!

I am glad to know that adding external power solved the issue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Bummer. The OSKB will not say up unless that in enabled. One more reason to get a TypeCover. #NeedMonies!

I am glad to know that adding external power solved the issue.

This is a forum issue. You need to either change your forum preferences to WYSIWYG or access the forum using desktop IE in compatibility mode.

Sin

Line breaks can be pasted in from another application. To get the line breaks to work on the forum directly, you need to set it to run in compatibility mode, but that has a horrible visual side effect where the user information that is supposed to be displayed to the left of the user's post is displayed above and across the whole screen. I tend to just post one paragraph or if need be...

...paste from Word.

Not perfect, but does work.

ArnoldC

Line breaks can be pasted in from another application. To get the line breaks to work on the forum directly, you need to set it to run in compatibility mode, but that has a horrible visual side effect where the user information that is supposed to be displayed to the left of the user's post is displayed above and across the whole screen. I tend to just post one paragraph or if need be...

...paste from Word.

Not perfect, but does work.

I have no issues with line breaks, on-screen keyboard or Touch Cover.

This is being typed using on-screen keyboard.

Another line break, just to prove a point.

I'm using Standard Editor (General Settings).

No need for crappy compatibility mode. :LOL:

Sin

I have no issues with line breaks, on-screen keyboard or Touch Cover.

This is being typed using on-screen keyboard.

Another line break, just to prove a point.

I'm using Standard Editor (General Settings).

No need for crappy compatibility mode. :LOL:
I like the keyboard to open as intended, which is my preferred issue to not deal with. Ideal I would prefer for the vBulletin software to work properly, but I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon. :big smile: