What's new

5 ways Windows RT is better than full Windows

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have no doubt that VBA/ActiveX has been the conduit for numerous incursions, but what is the Risk/Benefit ratio. If we just consider the little Timmy or Grandma consumer then the R/B is fairly high. Likely, that type of consumer would not even know how to get to the VBAIDE.

A member of a mobile workforce, however, is probably in a better position to take advantage of the benefits that custom automation has to offer. Chances are the VBA routines are legacy/integrated/critical/mature, possibly expensive to rewrite: keeping all that at the cost of a little IT angst may be a great bargain.

I think the food/food poising analogy is apt. Just make sure there is some Pepto on hand.
I see the point and know the aurguments well, I've managed the deployment of 10,000s of Windows Machines. VBA Remediation isn't really that difficult any longer, putting that functionality into SharePoint, MUI Applications or even Web or WPF Applications typically offer better integration, stability, security and a much higher long term ROI.

If I run into a customer that can't or won't remediate legacy VBA based Applications, I would recommend a VDI Scenario and still look at RT for many of the mobile workforce managed via MDM (using Intune and System Center). Surface Pro 3 for roles that require the backwards compatibility or have business reason for x86.

I'm currently working with the ISV community on the Windows Server 2003 EOL and running into all the old bugs and security holes from that era, as we try to modernize their apps for Server 2012 R2 or even Azure.

SEANT

As you say, backwards compatibility can be addressed more easily, and in the case of “Atoms” more cheaply, with X86 based machines. I doubt Microsoft has much of a problem with that, despite their Windows RT investment.

The Windows on ARM situation is rather precarious. Even some of this websites most stalwart WOA defenders have abandoned the platform in favor of the Surface Pro 3. My Surface RT still works well, amazingly so, but is probably the end of the line.

I hope Microsoft has a good game plan up their sleeve to protect the Nokia investment. Universal App Dev capabilities might help.

Given Nadella’s platform agnostic cloud computing inclination, though, I’d guess the best ROI for a developer interested in mobile solutions would be to learn objective-C/Java. Xamarin, maybe.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Joe B. has already confirmed Windows 10 Beta for ARM coming in January or February. Not going anywhere. I switched to the SP3 as well but Windows on ARM still has a future.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joe B. has already confirmed Windows 10 Beta for ARM coming in January or February. Not going anywhere. I switched to the SP3 as well but Windows on ARM still has a future.
Excellent, we will be ARMed with the latest OS, now if we can just get the latest 64bit ARM hardware we will be happy as clams at high tide. :)
Well you know if we had that there would be something else to wish for... :D

Last edited:

SEANT

Given Nadella’s platform agnostic cloud computing inclination, though, I’d guess the best ROI for a developer interested in mobile solutions would be to learn objective-C/Java. Xamarin, maybe.

Damn, Microsoft actually lowered the necessary investment for windows based programmers.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7205343/microsoft-open-source-net-android-emulator

This is a very interesting move. I think I like it. I know I like Sataya's notion of Microsoft becoming a productivity and platform company. http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/10/microsoft-productivity-platform-nadella/

The one remaining point of interest; how will the devices play into all of this?

OS2B

interesting video from Sean Ong who has made many great vids about the RT and Surface tablet... so do any of you agree? lol I luved RT so much I kept my RT and still use it sometimes although I gotta admit my GF is using MUCH more than I.

I to like my first RT I BROUGHT IT IN 2012 STILL RUNING AND ALSO WIN 8.1 INSTALL
THANKS AGAIN (OS2B)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they are going to do that then they may as well implement Davlik/ART on Windows and Windows RT and open the Store to Android APPs in a different section.

jrioux

So if your employer tells you you're only going to get 98% of your salary but will claim it gave you 100%, you'd be OK with that? ;)
We're talking about a "free" software product here. I'd love it if my employer gave me 98% of my salary for not working.

strollin

We're talking about a "free" software product here. I'd love it if my employer gave me 98% of my salary for not working.
It isn't free software though, you paid for it as part of the purchase price when when you bought the Surface. You're not really that naive are you?