What's new

58% drain on Connected Standby over 8 hours

pcreyn319

Could someone help me figure out what is going on here? I seem to be having issues with Connected Standby killing my battery. I lost 58% of my battery during sleep today over 8 hours. I've attached the Sleep Study report and the Battery Report. Thanks. I have wifi disabled during sleep as well.

Attachments

• battery report.pdf
    0 bytes · Views: 571
  • sleep study.pdf
    441.9 KB · Views: 1,071
The rate shown, 1500 mW per hour is typical. You are going to need to use hibernate until MS fixes this, which wont be until next year.

Zkyevolved

They actually responded to me about that. That's me. KentSpain85. They say that they didn't have time to develop the deep sleep mode like in the other surface models since this is a new chip. So they said in the beginning of next year which is less than a month away. Will they release it in January? I don't know. But this is the only problem I have with my sp4. It's a fantastic device. I'm willing to hold on to it for a while. I'm sure it'll be resolved.

I have my device set to
Power button hibernate.
Closing the keyboard moves it to sleep for 30 minutes, then after that, hibernate.
Always sleep while connected to the outlet.

OP
P

pcreyn319

They actually responded to me about that. That's me. KentSpain85. They say that they didn't have time to develop the deep sleep mode like in the other surface models since this is a new chip. So they said in the beginning of next year which is less than a month away. Will they release it in January? I don't know. But this is the only problem I have with my sp4. It's a fantastic device. I'm willing to hold on to it for a while. I'm sure it'll be resolved.

I have my device set to
Power button hibernate.
Closing the keyboard moves it to sleep for 30 minutes, then after that, hibernate.
How do you set those options? I don't see Hibernate as an option in the advanced power settings?

I have my device set to
Power button hibernate.

Yea, I figured that was you :) I've been frequenting this site, windows central, reddit and answers.microsoft to keep up to date on the feedback.

Telstar1948

I have to go with Thurrott on this one. This mess with the Surface line in general isn't about consumers complaining about their preference of color for the type cover not being available. It's about a company deciding to put hardware on the market that is not stable and reliable as a matter of ordinary business practice - if you disagree with my position, please explain away the same cycle beginning with the SP1 and continuing in the SP2, SP3, SP4 and the Surface Book.

I know...don't buy their product...early adopters "want" to be beta testers...blah, blah, blah.

If I'd paid $350 for either my SP3 or Surface Book I could simply tell myself that's what I get for shopping bargain basement tech. No...I spent nearly $2,000 for the SP3 and over $2000 for the Surface Book. Microsoft, we all have our problems, but, you gotta be kidding...

macmee

Anyone who googled for 10 seconds before buying the surface could have seen that it's riddled with bugs. I've bought the pro 2, 3 and 4 and have known these things are buggy from the get go. If you want something bug free then Windows is not the product for you, go buy a $2000 mac that uses a proprietary screw design, but that actually works in the respectable manner you'd want it to (unless you bought the ipad pro in which case you should probably just follow this link here and leave).

You can either have something cheap, flexible and buggy as hell (enter Microsoft), or you can have something expensive, narrow-scoped but much more reliable (Apple). You absolutely cannot have both because even though it's almost 2016, both of these companies are apparently run by idiots.

The real mystery with the latest power issues with the SB/pro4 is that some of us aren't getting these power problems at all. My standby time has been wonderful. However, knowing how incredibly pathetic Microsoft is at actually pushing out any sort of user friendly or stability anything, chances are mine is going to start going nuts 10 minutes after I finish this post.

Last edited:
I have to go with Thurrott on this one. This mess with the Surface line in general isn't about consumers complaining about their preference of color for the type cover not being available. It's about a company deciding to put hardware on the market that is not stable and reliable as a matter of ordinary business practice - if you disagree with my position, please explain away the same cycle beginning with the SP1 and continuing in the SP2, SP3, SP4 and the Surface Book.

I know...don't buy their product...early adopters "want" to be beta testers...blah, blah, blah.

If I'd paid $350 for either my SP3 or Surface Book I could simply tell myself that's what I get for shopping bargain basement tech. No...I spent nearly $2,000 for the SP3 and over $2000 for the Surface Book. Microsoft, we all have our problems, but, you gotta be kidding...

No disagreement here ...

OP
P

pcreyn319

I'm a MS guy...always have been. Had the Surface 2, SP3, and SP4. Even had the Lumia Icon. Each one has had issues plague it from the get go. I went back to the iPhone because it just works. Recently bought an iPad Air 1 for work and it just works. I understand they are different devices for different people. I need productivity. However, if you watch the MS commercials and the keynote speech, they are definitely advertising a product that is polished, when it is not. I had to exchange three SP4's to get one without a pixel dead out of the box. I had to exchange 2 SP3's to get to one that wasn't warping and having the bezel separate. That being said, MS seems to rush these products out before they are completely ready. I still love the SP4, it has great potential and is really powerful. I would just like some of these issues resolved. And disabling features (Windows Hello, Sleep, etc.) shouldn't be the solutions for them.