What's new

Solved 5GHz Wifi

Caoimh1n

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone else was having issues connecting to 5GHz networks? My SP3 will connect fine to my 2.4GHZ but, although it can see it, flat out refuses to connect to my 5GHz.

I am living in Ireland but bought my Surface in the U.S. Would this have anything to do with it? I have tried transmitting on different channels, and even set the router's wireless network as U.S, but still no go.

My router is a Netgear DS6200 and all updates have been applied to my Surface.

gdir

My SP3 uses 5 GHz 802.11n without any problems. My two access points are a FritzBox 7390 and a FritzBox 3370. I can't look up the channels at the moment, but I used something in the middle.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My SP3 does best with 5GHz, though 2.4 is fine. I'm guessing you have interference from other devices, such as microwave communications.

double07

I have been using my SP3 with 5Ghz since day one. I am using Netgear R7000. Were you able connect any other device to your router on 5Ghz band?

FlySwatter

I also use 5ghz daily, and the speed difference between it and 2.4 is very significant. I use a Western Digital N900 router.

OP
C

Caoimh1n

Thanks everyone for your replies. As it turns out, the issue was actually with my router. For some reason it wouldn't allow connections on the 5GHz band. I reflashed the firmware and bingo, now connected to the 5GHz network!

Feel a bit silly now blaming my Surface. Loving it so far.

malberttoo

Thanks everyone for your replies. As it turns out, the issue was actually with my router. For some reason it wouldn't allow connections on the 5GHz band. I reflashed the firmware and bingo, now connected to the 5GHz network!

Feel a bit silly now blaming my Surface. Loving it so far.

It is a complicated issue, wireless stuff is often difficult to troubleshoot.

I have been hearing that a lot of the remaining WiFi issues are probably due to wireless router or AP issues, and yours seems to be proving that idea correct.