What's new

7 days of love and hate

CrippsCorner

This subject seems to have been covered substantially now. But just to add, tbh I've not really experienced any of the problems you've had, perhaps our uses vary a lot. The only issue I've had of late is my Wi-Fi speed dropping, but this was due to running multiple bluetooth devices at the same time. I really hope they release a software fix for this.

Overall I'm very happy with my Surface Pro and wouldn't want to be without it.

DungeonShredder

The problem with vlc is that it will chew up your battery media player is better optimized and the Xbox video player is about 5 % better can't remember how much better media player is over vlc think it worked out to about an hour or so

After nearly 2 weeks i had to say, that the hardware is top but the software is crap! And with software i don`t mean windows 8! On my surface there is a software problem every week. At first the windows store was unable to repair broken apps so that i had to reset the sp2, than the windows update wasn´t able to install the firmware updates with the correct drivers correctly, now the modern ui ie wasn´t able to play hd videos on youtube (thx to this forum becuase that is solved). And than there is the problem that randomly the screen gets black on booting but the device is still on (because the windows button vibrates). I mean the device is that what i wanted to replace everything i have, but i have no desire to invest hours every week to solve problems with the device.

revmike

I haven't experienced any hardware or software issues that you speak of and I've had my surface pro 2 for over a month.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
After nearly 2 weeks i had to say, that the hardware is top but the software is crap! And with software i don`t mean windows 8! On my surface there is a software problem every week. At first the windows store was unable to repair broken apps so that i had to reset the sp2, than the windows update wasn´t able to install the firmware updates with the correct drivers correctly, now the modern ui ie wasn´t able to play hd videos on youtube (thx to this forum becuase that is solved). And than there is the problem that randomly the screen gets black on booting but the device is still on (because the windows button vibrates). I mean the device is that what i wanted to replace everything i have, but i have no desire to invest hours every week to solve problems with the device.

Have you loaded anything or updated the drivers with generic ones? I've been running 3 Pro 2's without any of the issues you're having.

fonzman78

Yes, very unfortunate. I've had the Pro2 since first day it came out and haven't had any issues like the rest. Seems like random people are having issues vs the majority. Perhaps you should trade it for another while you have time. If you can get something stable, then you will truly like the Pro.

Have you loaded anything or updated the drivers with generic ones? I've been running 3 Pro 2's without any of the issues you're having.
My software is up to date and I only use official Drivers from Microsoft. I think I will send it back after Christmas and hope I get a new one without the problems.

polbit

Unfortunately my SP2 has been returned to BB. While I really like the design, hardware quality, and overall size/weight, the software glitches on Microsoft's own device are inexcusable at this point - having a hard reboot every 3rd-4th time the SP2 came out of sleep, having to disconnect/connect the touch cover 2 to make it work all the time, etc, etc... It has been a true love/hate relationship, but at this point I just need something that works reliably, and my dreams of using SP2 as my sole device are out the window. So frustrating!

OP
R

reach

I have had the same story with my MacBook Pro. I considered it unstabile as hell. Sold it to a friend who's a big Mac fan, and he's perfectly happy.
It must be a combination between me doing things which others don't and the tolerance for mistakes.

My latest SP2 issue is: the "Mobile.HD" player, which has been recommended in this tread is showing a black ribbon in the middle. It's obviously an artefact from sharing the screen and changing the split, but it doesn't go away, survives even a reboot.

Second concern is that I have been recommended "PFD Annotator" which has no useful tablet features whatsoever. I wrote them about it and they explained very honest, that there'll never be a modernUI version, since this requires a completely new development. The issues with the moderUI versions of VLC and Firefox seem to support that.
So again, I'm wondering if I bet on the right horse with the SP2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
PDF Annotator is a fork off of an Open Source Project, and I believe his base still relies on that Code base. It is perfectly suited to tablets as that is what it was created for, it just happens to be a Win32 Program. It's biggest strength is that it uses the Windows Ink API.

I've used PDF Annotator since 1.0 and have it installed on my Pro 2, but I find myself using other Modern UI PDF programs more or OneNote and sometimes even Word.

Win32 Programmers seem to be the ones who struggle the most with WinRT. Web developers and iOS/Android Developers are doing much better as they tend to understand the programming paradigm.

The WinRT Application situation will mature just as it has in other evolutions with-in the Windows Ecosystem.

oion

Unfortunately my SP2 has been returned to BB. While I really like the design, hardware quality, and overall size/weight, the software glitches on Microsoft's own device are inexcusable at this point - having a hard reboot every 3rd-4th time the SP2 came out of sleep, having to disconnect/connect the touch cover 2 to make it work all the time, etc, etc... It has been a true love/hate relationship, but at this point I just need something that works reliably, and my dreams of using SP2 as my sole device are out the window. So frustrating!

Yep, faulty unit. Bad luck for you.

As for the OP, it's hard to say if there are hardware issues involved, since half the complaints have nothing to do with the Surface (app ecosystem, etc.).

CrippsCorner

Sold it to a friend who's a big Mac fan

omega-eve-eating-burger-spirit-o.gif