What's new

8.1 Bricked my Pro.

Not literally, but functionally.

The upgrade to Windows 8.1 has caused all of my important programs to stop functioning. I suspect it is security related, but the majority of corporate software, including the VPN client, Citrix Xenapp, and the company ERP no longer will run.

It was the fact that the Pro acted like a normal Windows computer that made it so valuable.

This is a setback.

Ian T

Had the same problem ... would only run Web Outlook in Lite mode. Only solution I could find was to reset the Surface to factory settings (wipe 8.1) and start over. Very frustrating but it worked.

AlperOZCAN

Some VPN's doesn't work. Because of literally this is a new Windows.
But some of them work with Compatibility mode. First of all, you must uninstall entirely your VPN program. And install as compatible with Win8 or Win7 mode from compatibility settings. And oh yes: With Administrator mode also.

But some programs, like Outlook 2013 in Office 2013 doesn't work at all. I think this is a reinstall issue in the background (win 8 to 8.1 upgrade process reinstall some programs in the background while pc is preparing to install 8.1 in the loading screen.)
Or this is a permission error in folders.