What's new

8.1 Charms Bar, Search by App Missing?

bubleeshaark

Hello everybody,

One of my favorite features of windows 8 was being able to open the Search Charm from anywhere, type a query, and click on an app to search in it. This is gone in windows 8.1!!!!!!!! How do I get it back??

(Note: documentation is found on the ForDummies Website.)

searchCharmByApps.png

Thanks!
Adam

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Search is a Search Everywhere App in 8.1 some love it, some hate it, App owners (Store, HULU Plus and Netflix) can put a Search Button in their App and bring the Windows 8 behavior to their App.

OP
B

bubleeshaark

Search is a Search Everywhere App in 8.1 some love it, some hate it, App owners (Store, HULU Plus and Netflix) can put a Search Button in their App and bring the Windows 8 behavior to their App.

I realize this, but I have TONS of apps installed! The apps are supposed to be ALL listed on the charms bar wherever you are.

Notice on the picture above that beneath the search bar is Apps, Settings, Files then a list of each actual app. Now look below, it just has a dropdown of Settings, Files, Everywhere and Web. I prefer it as the picture above, can I get it back?

For Dummies describes the old image this way:
"[....] But Search isn’t restricted to the app you’re currently viewing. By tapping different items on the Search pane, you route your search to cover your entire tablet."

Screenshot (22).png

Last edited: