What's new

8.1 concern: Forced stealth autoupdates in app store

oion

So far I'm quite interested in getting 8.1 on my RT for performance tweaks and additional functionality like Outlook RT and the sound recorder, though I haven't kept up with the news bits.

But in skimming one article about it (I refuse to install the preview version, meh), one tidbit really stood out:
One subtle change in Windows 8.1 is the elimination of the little number at the bottom of the Windows Store icon. That’s because apps now auto-update in the background.

This sounds good on paper, but comes with a caveat: According to Microsoft’s Ted Dworkin, partner director of program management for the Windows Store, apps won’t necessarily alert you if they’re updated and their access policies change. This means that if an app wants more data, Microsoft will quietly grant permission unless certain undisclosed permissions are asked for, triggering a user notification.

Ummm.... I really hope there's an option to disable this, though if there isn't I expect someone somewhere to create a hack. Disabling autoupdate is the first thing I do for any software installation, including the registry hack on my RT*, or have my firewall block it. I always read all the release notes for update notifications in the app store right now before deciding whether to go ahead and update or uninstall (e.g. if something decided to add ads, or user comments about a new version are mostly complaints).

*There are lots of legit patches for Winstuff, but I prefer letting updates stew a bit to maturity before manually installing anyway. A very recent MS update would've killed a game I play, for example, but it didn't install on my machine. :p I think MS ended up pulling that update completely.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It can be disabled in the Settings for the Store, no crisis, no Orwellian Conspiracy, just a small tick in the Settings ;) Leaving it on will be beneficial for 98% of the Users out there....

machistmo

It can be disabled in the Settings for the Store, no crisis, no Orwellian Conspiracy, just a small tick in the Settings ;) Leaving it on will be beneficial for 98% of the Users out there....

If you dont count the untold masses on metered data plans. I mean not everyone has an unlimited plan. It should be per app and not an automatic thing and I agree with the OP. Companies like MS should be going out of their way to make user friendly software. When you are number NOTHING (Im sure they are number DEAD ASS LAST in both spaces, unless you count Blackberry and then you're just desperate) in the mobile and tablet space, your aim should be nothing short of AWESOME SAUCE!

I should add that I am running 8.1 on my TPT2 at work. I am encouraged by Microsoft's apparent willingness to go back on what they said the WOULD NOT do and do what is sensible. It is encouraging to see them slowly pulling their heads out of their collective asses. 8.1 is definately a step in the right direction. Weather or not its enough of one or if "Windows 9: The Apology" will be required, just as Windows 7 was actually just "Windows Vista: The Apology" as I have always said, remains to be seen. How can one company just repeat the same thing over and over and over.... Miss, Miss, HIT, Miss, HIT, Windows 8 ad nauseum? ( Ad nauseam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

*Edit - My E key is not cooperating and will be dealt with off camera...

Last edited: