What's new

8.1 issue (if I can't fix it, can I revert back to 8.0?)

CrippsCorner

I've only had a couple of hours to look around Windows 8.1 but I've already found something so disastrous that it's ruined the whole OS for me.

I have the Surface Pro as one screen, running the Smart Screen... and an external monitor that I extend to running the desktop. It was never perfect, as when I hit the Windows key, it showed the desktop on both screens (rather than just on the external monitor) but hey, I learned to live with it.

This has changed in Windows 8.1
nerd.png
I still run the Smart Screen on the Surface, and the desktop on my external monitor, as before... but when I hit the Windows key, the external monitor reverts to the Smart Screen!? It just doesn't make sense. Firstly I didn't even think it was possible having Modern UI on two separate screens, but I guess that's an 'improvement' of Windows 8.1

The only way to easily get back to the Smart Screen on the Surface is to shut down whatever app I'm running (which I don't want to do) which for some god forsaken reason takes me back to the desktop... totally the wrong way round!? Anyway, then I click on the Windows button on the superbar.

If I can't get this back to how I want it, can I go back to Windows 8.0?

BillJ

I had a problem with IE on desktop; I did a refresh of the entire system, and it reverted back to factory Windows 8.0
MS support said this should not happen, and they are going to make a fix so that it does not happen in the future. For the time being, if you really want to go back to 8,0, just do a refresh...

mitchellvii

Um, whatever screen you have set up as your primary will show the Metro Start when you hit the Windows Button. Is you extended monitor set up as the primary? If so change it back to the Surface (right click your screen and choose "Screen resolution" to change it). You can have Metro Start on both screens by just using the charms bar on the extended monitor.

I also recommend you download Start8 which is a little app that gives you back the Windows 7 Start Button and also more control over what your extended screens do. Also if you are running the latest HD 4000 Control Panel it turns some hotkey stuff as far as screen rotations etc on by default. They are kind of weird and can interfere with Windows 8.1 hotkeys. Just open the HD 4000 Control Panel, go to Settings and turn the hotkeys off.

Here's some of the control Start8 gives you:

Start8.JPG

Last edited:

narse77

Whatever screen you set as primary will show the start screen when you press the windows key on your keyboard. Use the "Start Button" on your secondary or third screens to have the start screen on that display. 8.1 handles multiple monitors miles better than 8. I use three monitors at work. A 24" in the center and a 17" on each side. I keep the start screen open on the left most, the middle is for whatever stuff I am working on the far right is my Lotus Notes.

I can't test to make sure but I swear I also just click on the screen I want and press the windows key and the start screen will open on that screen.

For me 8.1 is way way better now for multiple monitors.

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Thanks guys although do you realise this behavior has completely changed from 8 to 8.1? On 8 I pressed the Windows key and it would show the Smart Screen on my Surface... now with the same setup, if I press the Windows key on 8.1, it shows the Smart Screen on my extended desktop instead, strange.

However I worked out a (slightly annoying) way round it. If I swipe from the right for the Charms then click on the Windows button, it works like it used to! Slightly longer winded but works okay. I wonder why the physical Windows key, and the software Windows button work in different ways...

mitchellvii

Thanks guys although do you realise this behavior has completely changed from 8 to 8.1? On 8 I pressed the Windows key and it would show the Smart Screen on my Surface... now with the same setup, if I press the Windows key on 8.1, it shows the Smart Screen on my extended desktop instead, strange.

However I worked out a (slightly annoying) way round it. If I swipe from the right for the Charms then click on the Windows button, it works like it used to! Slightly longer winded but works okay. I wonder why the physical Windows key, and the software Windows button work in different ways...

Pushing the Windows Button starts the Start Screen (Smart Screen?) on your primary monitor. This is normal and to be expected. If you download Start8 you will have additional control over this.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Pushing the Windows Button starts the Start Screen (Smart Screen?) on your primary monitor. This is normal and to be expected. If you download Start8 you will have additional control over this.

It's not consistent though. I made a video to show what I mean...

[video=youtube;m3VvmYPG62U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3VvmYPG62U[/video]

Pressing the physical Windows key (either on the keyboard or on the Surface screen) takes my extended monitor to the Smart Screen.

Pressing the Windows button on the Charms or swiping in from the left (to reveal all apps running, then hitting the Windows button at the bottom) takes my Surface to the Smart Screen.