What's new

8.1 keyboard issue

Lolvo

Saw this posted somewhere earlier, can't find it now.

Why is my type cover not working all of a sudden on 8.1?

mdfire

Saw this posted somewhere earlier, can't find it now.

Why is my type cover not working all of a sudden on 8.1?

Happened to me. Neither my type or touch covers would work. Spent two hours on phone with MS and no joy. They agreed to exchange for a new surface but I managed to download a recovery file and rowed back to 8.0. Both keyboards working fine now, though 8.1 has been pulled which sucks as Ive been on the preview since June.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you apply the Firmware Upgrades with the Cover Attached? Typically the firmware is applied to those only if attached.

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

Did you apply the Firmware Upgrades with the Cover Attached? Typically the firmware is applied to those only if attached.

Not sure if I did or not, but I'd have to say I did. I've been on 8.1 since the leak a couple weeks ago, and this issue only recently occurred. It's seriously hindering my schoolwork... what do you suggest I do?

No updates available when I check.

oion

Not sure if I did or not, but I'd have to say I did. I've been on 8.1 since the leak a couple weeks ago, and this issue only recently occurred. It's seriously hindering my schoolwork... what do you suggest I do?

No updates available when I check.

I'd roll back to 8.0 with a reset to see if this is a real hardware malfunction.

If it's not a hardware malfunction, I'd also check out Microsoft's official Answers site for Surface and try to find other similar threads or start your own to keep the information public--actual MS employees do wander around there.

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

I'd roll back to 8.0 with a reset to see if this is a real hardware malfunction.

If it's not a hardware malfunction, I'd also check out Microsoft's official Answers site for Surface and try to find other similar threads or start your own to keep the information public--actual MS employees do wander around there.

I will see what I can find; the volume, music, etc. keys still function - letter keys and the rest do not. Someone else was having this same issue, but on a Touch Cover, after upgrading to 8.1.

Omni

My touch cover stopped working on Sunday after working perfectly Saturday evening. Strangely my Type cover worked perfectly so I assumed my touch cover was broken. I arranged a return and Microsoft were happy to replace it but before I did a friend came over that has a surface so I tried it on his and it worked fine.

Long story short I did a format and reinstall and its now working again on 8.1. There is a software problem somewhere in 8.1 that's causing this.

OP
Lolvo

Lolvo

My touch cover stopped working on Sunday after working perfectly Saturday evening. Strangely my Type cover worked perfectly so I assumed my touch cover was broken. I arranged a return and Microsoft were happy to replace it but before I did a friend came over that has a surface so I tried it on his and it worked fine.

Long story short I did a format and reinstall and its now working again on 8.1. There is a software problem somewhere in 8.1 that's causing this.

So you did a fresh install, after a wipe?
Trying my best to avoid that.

Omni

Yes from experience and what I read refreshes rarely work. I was pleasantly surprised how much 8.1 saved to the cloud and how little I had to do after. Just tapped the tiles to redownload the apps very easy.