What's new

8.1 Miracast support test with Netgear Push2TV

EMINENT

Just did a quick vid last night after a short test with a Netgear PTV3000 Push2TV.

[video=youtube;lhB72kIfLQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhB72kIfLQY[/video]

It works very well actually. I did update to the newest firmware too. There was a couple times where it froze while I was messing with display resolutions from the desktop, but restarting fixed it each time. Once it's connected and being used it works just like wired. There's a bit of latency in cursor/mouse, but acceptable. Super tiny font on menu of windows are fuzzy so it appears to be slightly less than 1080p, but I haven't really had a chance to play too much with the settings to find an optimal setting yet. Everywhere else is looks HD. For the time being, video works pretty good. I did have buffering on high bitrate 1080p mkv's probably due to wifi strength which I have a solution for. 720p and everything worked fine.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

Lolvo

Wow! Now this is a software I could use!

Really wish I had the ability to play to a TV or monitor wirelessly on my RT. Perhaps there is a way, I just have not discovered it yet.
What you're doing in the video is precisely what I would love to be able to do. That SP is a nice device.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is supported both in the Pro and RT devices but currently only the Pro has Video Drivers that supports it, we are still waiting for a WDDM 1.3 driver for the RT.

bangsters

It is supported both in the Pro and RT devices but currently only the Pro has Video Drivers that supports it, we are still waiting for a WDDM 1.3 driver for the RT.

just to be clear, miracast is different from widi right? Coz from the threads I've been reading widi is not supported since the wireless adapter is not an intel chipset.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WiDi in its current iteration is MiraCast compatible but earlier versions were not, so if you have a IvyBridge or later Ultrabook or Hybrid it will connect to a MiraCast Device or if you have the latest WiDi adapters such as the Netgear PVT3000 a MiraCast Compatible Device will be able to connect to it.

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

I thought there was a bit that showed me pressing extend. There is choice of duplicate or extend. With extended, I can freely do what I want on the Surface Pro while still using desktop apps on the tv.

I've come to an issue where if I disconnect, I can no longer reconnect unless I reboot or restart the Netgear Push2TV adapter. It says "HDCP authentication failed" each time I try to connect without a restart. So far I've found that plugging in the usb power to the tv to let the power cycle power on and off the adapter to work for the time being.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

I thought there was a bit that showed me pressing extend. There is choice of duplicate or extend. With extended, I can freely do what I want on the Surface Pro while still using desktop apps on the tv.

I've come to an issue where if I disconnect, I can no longer reconnect unless I reboot or restart the Netgear Push2TV adapter. It says "HDCP authentication failed" each time I try to connect without a restart. So far I've found that plugging in the usb power to the tv to let the power cycle power on and off the adapter to work for the time being.

Nice.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

That is an issue with the Intel Video Driver, I have the same issue with my Samsung Ultrabook...

bangsters

ok i bought the push2tv upon seeing this thread, but i couldn't get it to work properly.

i updated to latest firmware for the netgear. my SP is running stock windows which i updated to 8.1 preview. when i try to pair it will connect, then the display on the tv will freeze.

anything special you did, like widi app on the SP? the netgear is running as miracast.