What's new

8.1 Miracast support test with Netgear Push2TV

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which did you purchase, the PTV2000 or PTV3000? Only the PTV3000 is Miracast compatible.

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

ok i bought the push2tv upon seeing this thread, but i couldn't get it to work properly.

i updated to latest firmware for the netgear. my SP is running stock windows which i updated to 8.1 preview. when i try to pair it will connect, then the display on the tv will freeze.

anything special you did, like widi app on the SP? the netgear is running as miracast.

Nothing else I did. 8.1 with latest updates, Netgear PTV3000 on 2.2.16, and using an hdmi that is of version 1.4.

What do you mean by freeze? Are you seeing a black screen or is it really froze? I noticed that in extend, the extended display would be black at first until I pressed the desktop tile on the Surface. Also, you might want to have a good wifi connection.

Wow, I'm really excited by this. So Miracast will be available in the 8.1 release and will work with the Pro, correct? What receiver needs to be used with the TVs/Monitors? Is the Netgear PTV3000 the ticket? Is there any reason to wait for the final release of 8.1 or is the preview fully robust? Finally what radio is this using to broadcast? Thanks for the great information.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In theory any TV or Adapter that is Miracast compatible should work, it will work with Pro for sure and if we get a video driver for the RT it should work with that as well. Both Miracast and Intel's WiDi use the WLAN Virtual Adapter.

The question I had was more in respect to whether there was a separate antenna for the Miracast signal. As best I can find it uses the same antenna that wifi uses. It this is true the radio is receiving wifi and broadcasting the Miracast signal at the same time. Pretty cool...Or is it? Can it both receive signal via wifi and transmit via Miracast at the same time?

Last edited:

bangsters

Nothing else I did. 8.1 with latest updates, Netgear PTV3000 on 2.2.16, and using an hdmi that is of version 1.4.

What do you mean by freeze? Are you seeing a black screen or is it really froze? I noticed that in extend, the extended display would be black at first until I pressed the desktop tile on the Surface. Also, you might want to have a good wifi connection.

I have wireless AC. signal is good as well for the SP. However, if it goes through my lan, how come the netgear never asked for my lan ssid and password?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It connects via an ad hock network directly between the Miracast and/or WiDi device and the client. It never touches you AP/Wireless Router....

samusamu81

surface pro and ptv3000: Any help will be appreciated

Am I the only one with problems here?
I am on the latest netgear firmware and I am trying desperately to connect my surface pro to the PTV3000

• I go to control panel->devices->connect to a device (or something like that, my Surface is in Italian)
  • The PTV 3000 shows up
  • I am asked for the PIN (so far so good)
  • The PTV tries to connect (says something like "establishing connection to your device").
  • It gives up and doesn't connect

It's not (or it shouldn't be) a faulty box: the galaxy note 2 works perfectly, after firware update. What am I missing?
Is there anything else I have to do on the surface (update or something? I'm on "whatever comes in the box")

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

I am on the latest netgear firmware and I am trying desperately to connect my surface pro to the PTV3000

• I go to control panel->devices->connect to a device (or something like that, my Surface is in Italian)
  • The PTV 3000 shows up
  • The PTV tries to connect (says something like "establishing connection to your device").

It's not (or it shouldn't be) a faulty box: the galaxy note 2 works perfectly, after firware update. What am I missing?
Is there anything else I have to do on the surface (update or something? I'm on "whatever comes in the box")

Actually, i'm now having the same issue. It appears to have started after a Defender update I did on Monday/Tuesday 21st. I can sporatically connect if I turn off Windows Firewall.

I don't know what exactly changed, but it was working before the update. Maybe someone can chime in on what the issue could be.

OP
EMINENT

EMINENT

• The PTV 3000 shows up

Well, I think I finally found what was causing my issue.

After the last Defender update that resulted in it not working, I figured it had something to do with Windows Firewall, which shutting off seemed to alleviate. However, I did not want to do this for security purposes. I messed with the inbound rules and noticed that "Wireless Display" wasn't there.

I added it as a rule for private networks and voila! Connected right away!

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in the negatives or insight regarding this, but it's working again like it did so far.

Last edited: