What's new

8.1 Miracast support test with Netgear Push2TV

Never mind. I'll try again...is there a miracast enabled touch screen out there that will enable wireless connection to the surface?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Samsung TVs have Miracast support, but I don't know of any Touch Screens as they need someway of telling Windows to load the HID driver for Touch, WiDi gets around this as it has wireless USB support as well.

bangsters

Samsung TVs have Miracast support, but I don't know of any Touch Screens as they need someway of telling Windows to load the HID driver for Touch, WiDi gets around this as it has wireless USB support as well.

Samsung Tvs do not connect to the SP. I have the 8000 series and my SP can see it, but when it tries to connect, it just stalls and stops.

CrippsCorner

Hi guys sorry, I really don't know much about Miracast, only heard of it the other day... hoping you can answer some questions for me?

1) Can you run extended desktop with this?

2) If so, can you then stream video etc?

3) Do you need a compatible monitor, or will any do? I'm assuming you'd need to plug something in the back...

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
1) Can you run extended desktop with this? - Yes

2) If so, can you then stream video etc? - Yes

3) Do you need a compatible monitor, or will any do? I'm assuming you'd need to plug something in the back... - You need a device that is Miracast compatible so either built into the TV or Projector or something like the Netgear PTV3000 that supports Miracast and Intel's WiDi.

samusamu81

Reading here and there I had the feeling that you have to update to 8.1 in order to be "miracast capable".
Can anyone confirm/deny this information?

If that is the case, how easy is it to come back from 8.1 to stock 8? (sory for the OT)

CrippsCorner

1) Can you run extended desktop with this? - Yes

2) If so, can you then stream video etc? - Yes

3) Do you need a compatible monitor, or will any do? I'm assuming you'd need to plug something in the back... - You need a device that is Miracast compatible so either built into the TV or Projector or something like the Netgear PTV3000 that supports Miracast and Intel's WiDi.

Thanks very much! Are there any negatives with using this compared to HDMI!? It just seems too good to be true lol... a wireless docking experience would just be fantastic. Does the Netgear just plug into the monitor then?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks very much! Are there any negatives with using this compared to HDMI!? It just seems too good to be true lol... a wireless docking experience would just be fantastic. Does the Netgear just plug into the monitor then?

There is a few milliseconds of delay, not noticeable when watching videos or even web surfing, but for typing in Word it becomes very noticeable. The PTV3000 is powered by a Mini-USB cable and uses a HDMI connection.

Omni

This looks very good I hope we do get this on the RT. Would buy one of those adapters straight away.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All we need to use it on our RT devices is for MS and NVidia to release a WDDM 1.3 video driver (our driver is still WDDM 1.2) as our Video Hardware and the Marvel WLAN both support Miracast.