What's new

8.1 on Surface 2 pooched, today

gwinegarden

No idea what happened. I had been using the S2 for some time and then I noticed two things, while looking around. First it said auto updates were not on (they had been), so I turned them back on, then I found a Windows Defender Update waiting, so I installed it.

Then, it started acting strangely, e.g. I could not connect to Skydrive.
I decided to reboot and that is when the fun began. It, immediately went into "repair" and failed. Tried again, with the same result. Then tried a reset. Entered the key and away it want, for about 5 seconds. Got an undefined error and tried again. Same thing. So, I am now doing a complete wipe and restore.

Strange.

OP
gwinegarden

gwinegarden

Well, I appear to have recovered. Compared to the "old" days, it was fairly painless. So far, my only issue is that it can read my SD card but it will not use it for file history. Oh, and the Photos live tile won't update.

kristalsoldier

Well, I appear to have recovered. Compared to the "old" days, it was fairly painless. So far, my only issue is that it can read my SD card but it will not use it for file history. Oh, and the Photos live tile won't update.

Don't know about the SD card matter, but have you enabled the Photo live tile from the Charms menu? I had run into that sometime back. Open Photo App>(from the Charms Menu)Settings> Options> do the needful.

oion

Don't know about the SD card matter, but have you enabled the Photo live tile from the Charms menu? I had run into that sometime back. Open Photo App>(from the Charms Menu)Settings> Options> do the needful.

Off-topic--WHOA, so that's an actual phrase! We had seen that a few times in our department while dealing with foreign contractors and employees and thought that was just rather funny engrish. :p

As for the microSD card for File History--is it formatted to NTFS? Also.

kristalsoldier

Off-topic--WHOA, so that's an actual phrase! We had seen that a few times in our department while dealing with foreign contractors and employees and thought that was just rather funny engrish. :p

As for the microSD card for File History--is it formatted to NTFS? Also.

Yes, in fact, my inspiration to use that phrase has always been (Sir) Walter Scott!

OP
gwinegarden

gwinegarden

I discovered the issue. Previously, I had set up my SD card as the default for libraries. I had not done that, again.

Things like this are why I created another thread about why we cannot create a full image on a USB stick. That could have eliminated most of my issues after the refresh.