What's new

8.1 RTM October

guitar1969

Well I hope they at least patch 8.1 preview for RT before then because all the bugs are making my RT experience unbearable. Quite honestly I am not sure RT can wait till Oct. MS needs boosted sales now before the holiday season.

W24TSN

Do you think there will be a way of doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1 when it lands or is an upgrade/update going to be the only way?
I have a thing about not installing major updates like 8.1 but rather I much prefer installing it from scratch.
Even with my MacBook Air (which I ditched to get my Surface Pro) I used to do fresh installs of any operating system Apple would release (in the time I had it Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion were released).

pallentx

Do you think there will be a way of doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1 when it lands or is an upgrade/update going to be the only way?
I have a thing about not installing major updates like 8.1 but rather I much prefer installing it from scratch.
Even with my MacBook Air (which I ditched to get my Surface Pro) I used to do fresh installs of any operating system Apple would release (in the time I had it Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion were released).
I think, even on the Pro, MS is going to treat the OS install more like Apple does with their mobile devices. It will be completely controlled. The good thing is that means testing is simpler and should be more likely to be hassle-free. I do hope the process has a good clean-up routine. Considering the limited space constraints, I expect that it will.

TeknoBlast

I'm prepared to buy a Surface Pro 2 and either a Surface RT sub-10" or a Nokia sub-10" tablet. Then I would sale the Samsung Ultrabook and give my current Surface pro to my wife. Yeah yeah, that sounds pretty good to me.

pallentx

MS has one speed, slow.

We have yet to see the results, but supposedly, part of the great reorganization at MS has been all about more focused development resources for faster updates and tweaks. Management has been shuffled, departments reorganized and such. They claim, starting with "Blue", to be implementing the new strategy. Who knows if it will work, but it sounds like they are doing the necessary things to make it happen.

mitchellvii

We have yet to see the results, but supposedly, part of the great reorganization at MS has been all about more focused development resources for faster updates and tweaks. Management has been shuffled, departments reorganized and such. They claim, starting with "Blue", to be implementing the new strategy. Who knows if it will work, but it sounds like they are doing the necessary things to make it happen.

Considering Microsoft is a new company and all I guess I should cut them some slack and give them time to get their act together :)

machistmo

Our developers have the RTM and have for 2 days now. My co-worker in network services here is running it. The only trouble so far that he has seen with it is that during the install on his W530 he had to change the bios setting form Optimus to Discrete, finish the install then change the setting back and install the latest NVIDIA 8.1 beta driver. Other than that the RTM looks ready for prime time.