What's new

8.1 Update 1 fixes tap and drag!!!

Tap and drag works for me too! Very pleased. This update from MS seems to have improved quite a lot of things, props to them :)

rp_guy

i like that they have added this feature.. however.. i feel that the implementation isn't that great. for example, when i'm in gmail, selecting (checkboxes) my emails in a list, it now wants to drag instead of allowing me to select multiple boxes at once. IE the delay period for sensing a double-tap to drag is too long.

i want to click, move the cursor, click, move the cursor, but not click and drag.

i don't get why they can't just figure out how synaptics does it for their touchpads.. i guess they make the best touchpads for a reason. at the very least, give us an option to change the delay sensing period.

macmee

It would be really neat if i could get this update so that i can get this fix

edit: I go to check update, it stays on "looking for update" for a long time, I get excited thinking I'm finally getting it.

Turns out my device actually froze. The fan went crazy and it rebooted itself. No update. Nice.

Brb getting hammer.

Last edited:

Korlon

I had to get the update through the control panel in desktop mode. For some reason the metro update search couldn't find it. Try that.

i like that they have added this feature.. however.. i feel that the implementation isn't that great. for example, when i'm in gmail, selecting (checkboxes) my emails in a list, it now wants to drag instead of allowing me to select multiple boxes at once. IE the delay period for sensing a double-tap to drag is too long.

i want to click, move the cursor, click, move the cursor, but not click and drag.
This is horrible. There's now a weird 500ms delay when you tap using the touchpad that is getting to my nerves. Example: in start screen, tap using touchscreen on any tile: it comes up instantly the moment you press it.
Now tap on the same tile using the touchpad. You'll see it appears "pressed" for 0.5seconds or so, then it's released, and then the app pops up instantly.

Same thing happens on mail's check boxes, where they remain grey for a while after you tap them. If you try to do anything during that brief moment on the touchpad you'll just start a drag.

Why such a huge delay? Couldn't this be done in a better way?

Last edited:

macmee

By the way, I am liking the tap drag fix, but it has made it virtually impossible to right click. The press hold thing, really hating it. Perhaps its worth making ctrl+click do a right click.

beq

macmee, I actually don't like right-clicking by trying to approximate and press the "virtual" touchpad right button, since it requires too much force. So I always use the 2-finger tap method GoodBytes mentioned.

i don't get why they can't just figure out how synaptics does it for their touchpads.. i guess they make the best touchpads for a reason. at the very least, give us an option to change the delay sensing period.

This is horrible. There's now a weird 500ms delay when you tap using the touchpad that is getting to my nerves. Example: in start screen, tap using touchscreen on any tile: it comes up instantly the moment you press it.
Now tap on the same tile using the touchpad. You'll see it appears "pressed" for 0.5seconds or so, then it's released, and then the app pops up instantly.

Same thing happens on mail's check boxes, where they remain grey for a while after you tap them. If you try to do anything during that brief moment on the touchpad you'll just start a drag.

Why such a huge delay? Couldn't this be done in a better way?

I think I'm experiencing similar. All I know is since the update, I've had multiple instances of inadvertent dragging when using the Type Cover touchpad. Like on the desktop when trying to click, click on stuff, then I accidentally started drawing a selection rectangle.

macmee

macmee, I actually don't like right-clicking by trying to approximate and press the "virtual" touchpad right button, since it requires too much force. So I always use the 2-finger tap method GoodBytes mentioned.

I think I'm experiencing similar. All I know is since the update, I've had multiple instances of inadvertent dragging when using the Type Cover touchpad. Like on the desktop when trying to click, click on stuff, then I accidentally started drawing a selection rectangle.
Tap with 2 fingers anywhere on the touchpad to right-click.

Do either of you have a Touch cover? The 2 finger methods only seems to work 30% of the time for me.

GoodBytes

The touchpad is the same on both keyboard.
And I have 100% success rate. All I can think is that you don't type teh 2 fingers at the same time. You can check the option "Enhance Mouse pointer precision" which will help you with the multi-touch gestures and tracking of the cursor.
You can find it under the Mouse panel from the old Control Panel, then go under the Pointer Options tab.
mouse.PNG