What's new

8 Products That Won't Make It To 2014

kristalsoldier

I get this feeling - and that's all this is - that post MS's release of Blue, they will wait for a few months and then release the relevant Surface RT numbers. Those numbers will be better than expected. It's just a feeling (or, if you prefer, an intuition) though!

john.calixte

Just sharing:

The company I work for has been rolling out iPads to managers for over a year now. Last week I was in a meeting with a bunch of them and I gave them an impromptu demo of my Surface RT. It blew them away! The Surface is so much more business-friendly than the iPad, especially in a Windows shop. Now they are scrambling to switch gears and start buying Surfaces (probably RT's not Pro's since these are not intended as laptop replacements). The future of the Surface seems pretty bright to me.

pallentx

Another "Tech Journalist" that just doesn't get it. I guess we could blame MS for not articulating the product well. Surface RT has to be one of the most misunderstood products ever launched. The constant barrage by such journalists in the absence of clear messages about the product from MS (all we get is dancing and "clicking") has been a product killer. I'm amazed at people who complain that you cant run legacy Windows apps, then recommend an iPad. Legacy apps are fine if you need them, but on a touch based, portable tablet, they are not the long-term solution for the direction the product needs to go. They are short-term stop-gap at best. A touch-based device needs good quality touch-based apps. MS should be pouring everything they have into getting devs on-board supporting the platform. Surface RT is a fantastic product that smokes the iPad - it just needs apps or it will die. You get the top 500 iPad apps + some great exclusives on RT and I cant see any reason for anyone to buy an iPad.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'm amazed at people who complain that you cant run legacy Windows apps, then recommend an iPad.

Lol the irony. "Dude you can't run legacy apps on a Surface RT you should get an iPad instead." Great now I can't run Office, connect a USB, add memory with SD card, easily navigate my files or connect to other PC's on my home network :eek:mg:

Classic :)

Nuspieds

Another "Tech Journalist" that just doesn't get it. I guess we could blame MS for not articulating the product well. Surface RT has to be one of the most misunderstood products ever launched. The constant barrage by such journalists in the absence of clear messages about the product from MS (all we get is dancing and "clicking") has been a product killer.
I certainly agree about the poor Surface marketing by MS; however, regarding the Tech journalists, remember, they are supposed to be Tech journalists and they should be able to figure out things for themselves much as we, the regular consumer, have done.

Without a doubt, a lot of those journalists are drunk with Apple Kool-Aid. When I moved from Windows Mobile 6 to an iPhone, first, I liked--and do like--the product; second, I was amazed as to what I could not do!:
  • What do you mean I can't configure what sounds I want for all possible events?!
  • What do you mean I can't bold, italic, underline, etc.?!
  • What do you mean I can't set message importance?!
  • What do you mean I can't use another on-screen keyboard?!
  • Etc.
Let Microsoft release a mail app today that doesn't have standard email features and functionality and see what those same Tech journalists say. There definitely exists a double-standard.

But then again, back in the Wintel duopoly days, the Tech journalists were also drunk with Microsoft Kool-Aid and Microsoft got away with a lot. So now the tables have turned. However, Microsoft isn't disappearing tomorrow and they certainly have money. What surprises me is how come I'm not seeing the same level of advertising and product hype like when they released Windows 95.

Afy

The Surface RT in reality can replace the PC for a large number of people, who only want to surfe the web, do some word/ppt and email. In that USE Case (which is why I think PC sales are shrinking) the RT blows the competition away. Yes the store does not have the apps for Facebook or whatever, but at some point they will come.
I dont think Win RT or the Surface are going away anytime soon. People are tiring of the constant Apple refreshes, that dont actually make much of a change to the iPod. (Yes the iPod, iPad and iPhone are essentially an iPod) But often need them to change all of their accessories etc.. isnt going down well. Foxconn's sales were down 19% last quarter due to weak demand for Apple products. But hey the so called jurno's wont report that.

pallentx

Yeah, it seems that tech journalists are some of the worst at trying to pigeonhole products to fit a preconceived idea of what it should be. I've seen so many articles declaring Surface a failure because its not as good at being an ultrabook as some other ultrabook. Or, its not as good at being a media consumption device as an iPad - because iPads have all the apps. Or you cant replace a full-powered laptop with a 24" screen with a Surface so it's crap. It always comes down to "The Surface is not a good __________." Well, those other things aren't a very good Surface either. This is a new class of things. If you look at what real, average users are doing with their devices, the Surface RT should be a perfect fit for the masses. Its far from all things to all people, but its 95% of what people would want to do on a portable device.

Gigayojimboz

People are tiring of the constant Apple refreshes, that dont actually make much of a change to the iPod. (Yes the iPod, iPad and iPhone are essentially an iPod) But often need them to change all of their accessories etc.. isnt going down well. Foxconn's sales were down 19% last quarter due to weak demand for Apple products. But hey the so called jurno's wont report that.

Very valid point - I don't think I've read much of anything that mentioned the weak demand - all I think I've seen is "Look over here!!! THE NEXT IPHONE!"