What's new

A couple of concerns before purchasing/choosing a Surface Pro.

Hello. I am in the process of selecting a Surface Pro to purchase. Right now, I am looking at a Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Bundle. It is the i7/16GB/256GB model with a keyboard for $1549. I can definitely get behind that price.

What I will be using the device for is work and school (web design/development and motion graphics), as well as media consumption. I watch many shows and movies that my wife has no interest in, so I usually wind up watching a device in before bed...while in bed lol.

I also know that the new Surface Pro is due to release on June 15, 2017. From what I have read, the CPU is going to be the major deciding factor for me because of battery life. Rumors are stating that it can get up to 13.5 hours of battery life. I expect that it will get less when do certain tasks, but that seems to be a major upgrade from the SP4.

My concern is not only battery life, but price. I have been using a 2016 13" MacBook Pro for a few months that has decent battery life (less than I was expecting, though), but I really dig the idea of the Surface Pro and I like Windows 10. As I wrote in the first paragraph, I can get a pretty good deal on a Surface Pro 4 bundle. The new Surface Pro will be more expensive (and that is for the i5/8GB/256GB model) and it will not come with a pen or keyboard. I know they normally do not, but I am basing this off of the bundle I could purchase.

I suppose I would like to know if it is worth it just to wait for the Surface Pro to release or just go ahead and purchase this Surface Pro 4 bundle. Is there going to be that much of a difference in performance/battery life? I am having a hard time convincing myself that the new Surface Pro will be worth it when we are looking at specs to price...if that makes any sense.

I know we are not mind reader and cannot predict how the device will perform, but I figured I would ask because I am sure that you all that are regulars on this forum are way more knowledgeable about this subject than I.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions, advice, help and responses.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The other thing to consider is that the closer to the release date, the better the sp4 discounts will be as shops try to move the old stock.

While I'd be looking at the new model myself, a further thing to consider is that the SP4 is now old, that is to say Microsoft have had the time to work out the considerable number of issues that cropped up on its release. The surface pro could very well be just as problematic for the first handful of months. You never know.

MickeyLittle

Not to steer you off course but have you considered a Surface Book? Microsoft has some really good deals right now and here are a couple of certified refurbs that Amazon has.
Sketch (2).png

convergent

First off, not sure if you've considered a Microsoft refurbished unit... they come with the same warranty as new. The model you are getting (minus the keyboard) is $1274.15 here > Buy Certified Refurbished Surface Pro 4 - Microsoft Store

To your questions, the Surface Pro 4 gets no where near the battery life Microsoft advertises. I think they say 9, and I've heard reports of anywhere from 3 to 6 hours of use, depending on what you are doing. So take the stated battery life of the new one with a grain of alt. I think its supposed to be 50% better, so anywhere from 4.5 to 9, based on relative numbers compared to the Surface Pro 4.

I tried a Surface Pro 4 for about a month just before the announcement, and returned it to see what the new one would have. I loved it overall, but the three things I would have liked improved were battery life, the sharp edges when holding as a tablet, and overall pen performance. These are all improved in the new one.

My understanding is that the Microsoft Stores now have the new ones in for demo already, so you may want to swing by and see for yourself how they look. They don't have the new pens yet.

As for me, I pre-ordered the i5/8G/256G model because I interested in the fanless design, and those specs should serve me fine.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned above, don't forget to consider the Surface Book. This is my dream machine for media management and creation, music, art, geophysics (my profession) and entertainment.

The other thing to consider is that the closer to the release date, the better the sp4 discounts will be as shops try to move the old stock.

While I'd be looking at the new model myself, a further thing to consider is that the SP4 is now old, that is to say Microsoft have had the time to work out the considerable number of issues that cropped up on its release. The surface pro could very well be just as problematic for the first handful of months. You never know.

Not to steer you off course but have you considered a Surface Book? Microsoft has some really good deals right now and here are a couple of certified refurbs that Amazon has.
View attachment 8557

First off, not sure if you've considered a Microsoft refurbished unit... they come with the same warranty as new. The model you are getting (minus the keyboard) is $1274.15 here > Buy Certified Refurbished Surface Pro 4 - Microsoft Store

To your questions, the Surface Pro 4 gets no where near the battery life Microsoft advertises. I think they say 9, and I've heard reports of anywhere from 3 to 6 hours of use, depending on what you are doing. So take the stated battery life of the new one with a grain of alt. I think its supposed to be 50% better, so anywhere from 4.5 to 9, based on relative numbers compared to the Surface Pro 4.

I tried a Surface Pro 4 for about a month just before the announcement, and returned it to see what the new one would have. I loved it overall, but the three things I would have liked improved were battery life, the sharp edges when holding as a tablet, and overall pen performance. These are all improved in the new one.

My understanding is that the Microsoft Stores now have the new ones in for demo already, so you may want to swing by and see for yourself how they look. They don't have the new pens yet.

As for me, I pre-ordered the i5/8G/256G model because I interested in the fanless design, and those specs should serve me fine.

As mentioned above, don't forget to consider the Surface Book. This is my dream machine for media management and creation, music, art, geophysics (my profession) and entertainment.

Thank you all very much for your responses. There is a lot of great information that you offered.

I considered the Surface Book, but for some reason, I don't know why, I always thought it was out of my price range and the size of it was a little too big. I really dig the Surface Pro form factor. The SurfaceBook is something I am not looking into lol.

Battery life is huge for me right now. How are the Surface Book's battery life?

convergent

I never really considered the Surface Book either, and now I'm seeing that the weight of the tablet part is not more than the Surface Pro. I guess a trip to the Microsoft Store may be in order!

I think that if I were going to get a refurb, I'd only buy it directly from Microsoft so you get their full warranty and return policy. The ones on Amazon I believe are sold through 3rd parties... not sure if they are Microsoft refurbished, or 3rd party refurbished.

Here is the link to Microsoft Refurbished Surface Books - Buy Certified Refurbished Microsoft Surface Book - Microsoft Store

MickeyLittle

Thank you all very much for your responses. There is a lot of great information that you offered.

I considered the Surface Book, but for some reason, I don't know why, I always thought it was out of my price range and the size of it was a little too big. I really dig the Surface Pro form factor. The SurfaceBook is something I am not looking into lol.

Battery life is huge for me right now. How are the Surface Book's battery life?

Surface Book battery life is a solid 9-12 hours every day just depending on what tasks I'm doing on it. Oh and I keep my battery brightness at 70% while on battery so I don't baby it for battery life!

I also love that I can remove the display for tablet mode and even flip it around so it is very versatile. I just never got comfortable using the Surface Pro while on the couch or chair.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Book battery life is similar to @MickeyLittle . About 10 hours with brightness on 75% - 100% and frequent use. I like that the Clipboard (screen) has its own battery, also. The two USB ports are very handy, as well as the video out.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am a MacBook "pro". I like apples and oranges. Over the last three years, I have "returned" to being a strong Microsoft enthusiast. Both ecosystems are good, and competing for my dollar. I win this game every time.

I have two Surface Book computers, one a 512 and one a 1TB with Performance Base. I am delighted that the Base (keyboard) is interchangeable with either of my two Clipboards (screens). Also, it is very nice to be able to connect the charger to the Clipboard directly, with no Base.

These machines have traveled the world with me, a few times.

I am certain the new Surface Pro will be a good unit. But the Surface Book remains my faithful personal assistant, and hard working employee, for now.