What's new

a couple of network questions

Arizona Willie

My SPRO seems very slow on my wi-fi. Pages load slowly and sometimes freeze.
Viewing the same pages on this desktop and they just POP right up like they should.

Wondering about my network setup.

This morning I went to try to compare the details of the setup on the desktop and the surface pro.

Should FIPS ( Federal Information processing Standards ) be enabled on the Surface? I don't even see that in the desktop setup.

Should Microsoft LLDP protocol driver be enabled? It is on the desktop but not on the Tablet.

ScottyS

FIPS ( Federal Information processing Standards ) ???
What is that? Is that the software that enables the NSA to read all our emails?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My SPRO seems very slow on my wi-fi. Pages load slowly and sometimes freeze.
Viewing the same pages on this desktop and they just POP right up like they should.

Wondering about my network setup.

This morning I went to try to compare the details of the setup on the desktop and the surface pro.

Should FIPS ( Federal Information processing Standards ) be enabled on the Surface? I don't even see that in the desktop setup.

Should Microsoft LLDP protocol driver be enabled? It is on the desktop but not on the Tablet.

LLDP is not enabled by default in Windows 8 and really there is no need to enable it. FIPS is only DOD or equivalent networks as it is a Federal Encryption Standard. Many of the issues with the Marvel WLAN card is due to the fact that Miracast is disabled (becomes enabled in 8.1).

Telstar1948

LLDP is not enabled by default in Windows 8 and really there is no need to enable it. FIPS is only DOD or equivalent networks as it is a Federal Encryption Standard. Many of the issues with the Marvel WLAN card is due to the fact that Miracast is disabled (becomes enabled in 8.1).

Are you saying that many of the WiFi issues with the RT & PRO trace back to the Marvel WLAN card being disabled in 8.0? I'm thinking I've read that similar WiFi issues continue to exist even with 8.1. Are there other issues with the RT & PRO (ignoring any issues with a person's own WiFi system in their home or business for the moment) hardware that also contribute to the WiFi problems?

Ruffles

Don't enable FIPs. Like jnjroach said, it's a DOD thing that locks your machine down and removes functionality. Try opening the properties for your wifi adapter and changing something (like QoS Packet Scheduler) and then hit OK. At work, where we use WPA2 Enterprise encryption, I get great upload speeds but HORRIBLE download speeds until I do this. For me, it doesn't matter if I change it from enabled or disabled or really what setting I pick. I just have to make a change and hit OK. This fixes my problem - until the next reboot when I have to do it again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying that many of the WiFi issues with the RT & PRO trace back to the Marvel WLAN card being disabled in 8.0? I'm thinking I've read that similar WiFi issues continue to exist even with 8.1. Are there other issues with the RT & PRO (ignoring any issues with a person's own WiFi system in their home or business for the moment) hardware that also contribute to the WiFi problems?

Its possible some of the issues have been with the Firmware for the Marvel Chipset (power management issues have been narrowed down to the Miracast being disabled), but also many of the issues are between handshakes between Routers and the WLAN Card, many of these have been fixed with Firmware Upgrades

demandarin

After seeing this thread I checked my speeds. I got 35.11Mbps download and 8.14Mbps upload on my Comcast high speed. Haven't experienced any WiFi issues here.