What's new

A direct way to watch ISO files on Surface 2

chrisking

I'm new to my Surface 2. One the second day when I got it, I was wanting to transfer some personal media like some movie files to Surface 2. I have some ISO/DVD files stored on my PC, and I tried my best to get the files to the tablet. What's frustrating, Surface 2 can't play the ISO videos, no matter the stock player or the 3rd-party software I installed.

I googled the issues, and found a relevant guide gave me some clues. I've tried it, and it works indeed. So, it's the only possible solution for us to watching ISO movies on Surface 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

ctitanic

There is not way. There many tools, like Total Commander that have plugins that allows you to "unpack" ISO files, then you can copy the contest to your S2.

oion

People usually convert their DVDs to a popular compressed format for mobile viewing (mp4, avi, etc.). There are a number of ways to do this, and one method is supplied by a supporting vendor of this forum. Pavtube Software Studio

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why not mount the ISO in explorer, then use a program that plays the video, if it is still in DVD format you may need to buy something like PowerDVD.

oion

Why not mount the ISO in explorer, then use a program that plays the video, if it is still in DVD format you may need to buy something like PowerDVD.

In Windows RT? The PowerDVD Mobile app appears hit or miss for DVDs (user reviews saying DVDs on external USB drives aren't recognized, someone with a Surface RT says it does recognize VOB files but it doesn't play contiguously and automatically, etc.), but at least it's available for trial. OP could attempt the trial version. Personally, since the user reviews seem to indicate it's not 100% for DVD files, it may be less hassle to go the conversion route. (Or, especially if you own the DVDs already, you could let someone else do the work. :cool:)

FFX

Mounting the .iso, will work flawlessly on the Surface 2. And when VLC is released you should be able to play it without problems.

ctitanic

In Windows RT? The PowerDVD Mobile app appears hit or miss for DVDs (user reviews saying DVDs on external USB drives aren't recognized, someone with a Surface RT says it does recognize VOB files but it doesn't play contiguously and automatically, etc.), but at least it's available for trial. OP could attempt the trial version. Personally, since the user reviews seem to indicate it's not 100% for DVD files, it may be less hassle to go the conversion route. (Or, especially if you own the DVDs already, you could let someone else do the work. :cool:)

I can confirm that ISO files can be opened with File Explorer and that indeed, PowerDVD only recognize the VOB files but it does not recognize the IFO files and as a consequence it does not play continuously all the VOB files in the movie. A workaround is to select all files and play it. Other issues are that you can't select the audio track so you may end playing the wrong one.