What's new

a few touch cover questions

jakebake

hey guys so I just receieved the touch cover for my surface pro. I bought it on ebay new for 70 dollars. I would definitely rather have the type cover but wanted to wait to see if the keyboard with battery was coming out soon until I spent a lot on the keyboard. the touch cover is actually easier to use than I thought it would be but I have a few issues with it. the first one is that when using two fingers to scroll once you are done it takes a second before you can start using the mouse pad again it like freezes for a second. does anyone else notice this or have this issue? also when going to move the cursor a small amount after it has been sitting there it jumps a little bit so it is hard to be really precise. is there a way to fix this. and lastly is there a way to change the pressure it takes to register a keystroke? Oh and can you have It auto correct spelling mistakes?

thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
They keyboards are designed to work like every other keyboard, that is to not auto correct. It is consistent with what you would experience on any pc. Auto correct the way you are implying is a feature of phones and mobile devices mainly due to keyboard size limitations. This would throw many people off if applied to traditional typing. This is also discussed in another thread. Perhaps an option to turn it on or off should have been included but it wasn't. What we do have makes sense in context but will not please everybody.

I haven't experienced the mouse jumping issue. As far as changing the pressure sensitivity it isn't possible (maybe if you want to mess with the registry) but the keys are pressure sensitive.

OP
J

jakebake

They keyboards are designed to work like every other keyboard, that is to not auto correct. It is consistent with what you would experience on any pc. Auto correct the way you are implying is a feature of phones and mobile devices mainly due to keyboard size limitations. This would throw many people off if applied to traditional typing. This is also discussed in another thread. Perhaps an option to turn it on or off should have been included but it wasn't. What we do have makes sense in context but will not please everybody.

I haven't experienced the mouse jumping issue. As far as changing the pressure sensitivity it isn't possible (maybe if you want to mess with the registry) but the keys are pressure sensitive.

Thanks and that does make sense..
The most annoying part of this though is that after using two fingers to scroll the mouse takes a split second before you can start moving it again. Does no one else have this issue? Is mine faulty?

Nemesis296

Thanks and that does make sense..
The most annoying part of this though is that after using two fingers to scroll the mouse takes a split second before you can start moving it again. Does no one else have this issue? Is mine faulty?

I just noticed mine does that too. Hmmm...not sure if it's by design or not. Probably need more people to verify.

OP
J

jakebake

Positive...

yeah seems like it is by design because it makes sense so the cursor doesn't move when you scroll however I find it very annoying, or at least the amount of time it takes to be able to move again. Anyone know how to change it? Are other laptops like this (does the type cover do this)? I am mainly a desktop user so usually never use laptops.

Edit: Nevermind tried it on my Gf's windows 8 laptop and there is not pause at all between the double finger scrolling and going back to one.

ArnoldC

I also use Windows 8 on an Acer S3 with touchpad where drivers are provided by Elan. I love this touchpad because it supports most gestures such as swipe right, swipe left, swipe top, two finger scrolling all directions. And to answer your question- no. This one has no delay.

OP
J

jakebake

I also use Windows 8 on an Acer S3 with touchpad where drivers are provided by Elan. I love this touchpad because it supports most gestures such as swipe right, swipe left, swipe top, two finger scrolling all directions. And to answer your question- no. This one has no delay.

sorry a little confused... are you saying that you love the touchpad on the acer s3? Because my touch cover for the surface definitely does not have those gestures haha (which I think is dumb since it is Microsoft's product.....). Are there different drivers for the touch cover
Glad I only paid about half for this one... don't know how they get off by charging $120 for this

ArnoldC

True, the Touch Cover does not have the swipe from top, from right, from left and the two finger horizontal scroll that I can do with the Acer S3 touchpad.

SeaSurf

I prefer to reach out and touch the screen for swiping gestures. With the touch screen so close and responsive it doesn't seem like this function is needed for the pad, for a Surface anyway.

mbaker911

I still have trouble with accuracy and missing characters with the touch cover. I'll try the trick of resting my wrists to keep me in one place. I like the thin profile too much to move to the type cover. The touch cover is what makes the surface unique. If I need to do a lot of typing, I can always use a Bluetooth keyboard with raised keys. I just fold the touch cover over under the surface and use the Bluetooth keyboard when I really need to type a lot. (I am using a HP Touchpad Bluetooth keyboard.)