What's new

a more decent keyboard is ncessary?

MickeyLittle

I hope that there will be a power cover for sp3 , which should have better typing experience and gives you more battery life.

And if they do this will give owners another option by allowing them to quickly take the SP3 with the Power Cover for that full laptop experience, the Type Cover for a more portable typing experience, and even without a keyboard for whenever they feel like it's a tablet only kind of day such as riding in the car.

beq

Ordered the Grifti for my SP1. Neoprene covered AL slate looks like the right idea for "lapping" the SP type covers. If it works, it will remove my only issue with getting the SP3. $16 is cheap for a solution. I see there are bigger ones.��
I'll be curious if it meets your need.

It's kinda a hassle to carry with you, but OK to keep in one location like the living room. I got carried away and bought most/all of their lapdesks and wrist pads in various sizes (just search Amazon for "grifiti pad" and "grifiti deck", or see the manufacturer page). I only started looking in the first place because a family member wanted extra wrist support/cushioning...

There are many SKUs it gets confusing (and makes my OCD flares up heh). They have slim wrist pads only 0.25" thick for today's thin keyboards/trackpads like those from Apple, Logitech, or the aforementioned ThinkPad. Comes in 5, 12, and 17 inch lengths, with grippy neoprene rubber base (top is either nylon or smooth rubber -- get the latter).

The fat wrist pads (0.75" thick) are for thicker keyboards/laptops. Same base but only comes with nylon top, in 8, 12, 14, and 17 inch lengths. There's also a 'big-ass' 17" version that's twice as deep at 8" (bought it just for fun).

They also offer tacky-silicone palm pads that you can stick to either side of a laptop's touchpad, for extra support and to cushion the MacBook's sharp edges. Either 2mm or 0.25" thick.

The aluminum decks (lap desks) are barely 0.25" thick, in 13, 15, and 17 inch lengths (12 inch deep). Covered with neoprene (top and bottom). Also comes in "platform" combos that bundle a lap desk with a matching slim or fat wrist pad, in various lengths (may or may not save you money, check current prices).

Whew that was more than I'd intended to type...

P.S. I'd initially tried the 17" lap desk to have a tiny bit of extra space to use a portable mouse next to the SP2, till I discovered that the textured neoprene surface grips the mouse from moving (d'oh). So I plopped the 12" smooth slim pad vertically down the right side as kind of a mouse pad.

Thing is, I don't even need a mouse when using the ThinkPad keyboard (love that TrackPoint after having used it for years). So I switched to the 13" lap desk :)

fonzman78

Fact is that without such a "lockable" keyboard "cover", the surface will not be able to really replace the laptop without compromise.

I don't think this is a fact at all. Fact is, the SPro1, the Spro2, and soon, the SP3 have replaced my laptop without compromise. I would venture it's best to say 'In my opinion, the Surface will not...'. This way you're not speaking for those of us who have, in fact, ditched our laptops and tablets and are now only using the Surface as a single go to device.

I take my Surface everywhere. To all meetings. On road trips (such as now). To coffee shops (my office). On the couch. Laying in bed. As for my laptop? I have never touched it since purchasing a Surface device. My iPad? Give it to my 11 year old. I do not want MS to change any part of it. I like how the keyboard snaps on and off. If I wanted a keyboard to 'lock' in, then I should've gone with any number of other devices that do this. There is a plethora of devices that spin, flip, lock, or twist a 'hard' keyboard in place. Been there, done that.

Fact is the Surface is fully capable of replacing a laptop. Just kidding. In my opinion, the Surface is fully capable of replacing your laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think this is a fact at all. Fact is, the SPro1, the Spro2, and soon, the SP3 have replaced my laptop without compromise. I would venture it's best to say 'In my opinion, the Surface will not...'. This way you're not speaking for those of us who have, in fact, ditched our laptops and tablets and are now only using the Surface as a single go to device.

I take my Surface everywhere. To all meetings. On road trips (such as now). To coffee shops (my office). On the couch. Laying in bed. As for my laptop? I have never touched it since purchasing a Surface device. My iPad? Give it to my 11 year old. I do not want MS to change any part of it. I like how the keyboard snaps on and off. If I wanted a keyboard to 'lock' in, then I should've gone with any number of other devices that do this. There is a plethora of devices that spin, flip, lock, or twist a 'hard' keyboard in place. Been there, done that.

Fact is the Surface is fully capable of replacing a laptop. Just kidding. In my opinion, the Surface is fully capable of replacing your laptop.

I agree with you, all of my Surface devices work great as laptop replacements, they do much more than a laptop. But there are consumers who want the full laptop experience which is fine, but the that means the Surface is not the device for them, they can chose one of the plethora of Intel 2 in 1's that the OEMs have put out, because lets be real, a 2 in 1 with a keyboard base is a laptop first and a Tablet way second. Personally I would chose an Ultrabook before I would but a 2 in 1. But I'm a happy Surface User...

N.G.

beq,
Thanks for the grifiti hint. It arrived today and, My Surface Pro 1 in a Maroo case, it is giving at least as good a laptop experience ON MY LAP, as any laptop computer I have had. It is better really, because it is more comfortable and a nice heat shield, while lighter... Wish the SP1 layed back more though.

fonzman78

Here is an interesting option for those who want/like a lockable keyboard. Similar specs as the Surface and definitely gives you the full laptop experience you like. I had an HP tablet/laptop years ago that was similar to this one. Back then, the tablet part didn't come off. It twisted around to become a tablet albeit a very heavy tablet. Looks like HP is a good option now that you can separate the tablet.

HP Pro x2 612 is a business-friendly 2-in-1 tablet - Liliputing