What's new

A Patch by any other name would revise no less

I think it might be related to that other update you had, macmee. I had to install a couple old updates before I got the big boy.

Either that or you are just plain cursed.

macmee

I think it might be related to that other update you had, macmee. I had to install a couple old updates before I got the big boy.

Either that or you are just plain cursed.

Seriously considering putting my SP2 on ebay and just cutting my losses at this point. I can't even make this post from my SP2 because the touch cover randomly stops working.

Nuspieds

My friend got it on his desktop.

I have no words.
Here's an example of what I read online:

'Windows 8.1 Update' Available From 08 April; 'Mandatory' Update for Windows 8.1 Users - International Business Times

Notice Pointer #4, stating the prerequisites. So there might be some patch not yet on your Surface that potentially does not complete the prerequisites. This must explain why others had to do some sort of housekeeping before they also saw the update.

Anyway, have a look and see what you can find out. Hopefully it helps.

macmee

Here's an example of what I read online:

'Windows 8.1 Update' Available From 08 April; 'Mandatory' Update for Windows 8.1 Users - International Business Times

Notice Pointer #4, stating the prerequisites. So there might be some patch not yet on your Surface that potentially does not complete the prerequisites. This must explain why others had to do some sort of housekeeping before they also saw the update.

Anyway, have a look and see what you can find out. Hopefully it helps.

The update I have that keeps failing is marked as important:

http://i.imgur.com/GGdXypF.png

But every time I try to install it (even from the standalone installer) it fails.

Nuspieds

The update I have that keeps failing is marked as important:

http://i.imgur.com/GGdXypF.png

But every time I try to install it (even from the standalone installer) it fails.
Oh, sorry to see.

I know that I received several updates before Update 1 finally was seen, so your error could be one of those failures that is preventing your system from having all the prerequisites.

Have you checked the detailed error code and searched online for a solution? Or did the only solution you ran into was to delete the Windows Update database and re-run Windows Update? Mind you, I've had to do the latter a couple of times on previous PCs.

Seriously considering putting my SP2 on ebay and just cutting my losses at this point. I can't even make this post from my SP2 because the touch cover randomly stops working.

I hope it doesn't come to that and MS can sort you out with something more decent. The SP2 is a great machine that fills a market gap really well, it's just a shame that they seem to be so inconsistent. Mine has been fine other than a slightly wobbly kickstand but that can be tightened easily. I hope if you do end up selling it that you don't completely write of Surface :)

That said, given how badly your SP2 has been treating you I can understand why you'd want to.

macmee

Sorry about your delay problem :( But just wanted to say thanks for all the (unintended) laughs :D

Yeah no worries. I think I'll call Microsoft and complain for about the 100th time.

Fully aware that I'm a broken record around the forums, but really everything bug that exists on this forum I fall victim to. I guarantee you that if I shove an SD card into my device, I will suffer from the 30% CPU issue as well.

I'm considering contacting Microsoft and getting a second exchange, but I don't want them to send me an even older device with wonky colours yet again. I want them to send me a brand new device, I certainly think I'm entitled after these mind numbing problems, but getting them to see that is another story.

I hope it doesn't come to that and MS can sort you out with something more decent. The SP2 is a great machine that fills a market gap really well, it's just a shame that they seem to be so inconsistent. Mine has been fine other than a slightly wobbly kickstand but that can be tightened easily. I hope if you do end up selling it that you don't completely write of Surface :)

That said, given how badly your SP2 has been treating you I can understand why you'd want to.

The thing is, everyone tells me how great Microsoft is all the time, but the last positive experience I had with Microsoft was Windows XP (and office, they kick ass with office). I could install the latest dev build of Fedora onto my Macbook and it would run better then Windows does on the Surface. It's a $1500 farce in my eyes. It has many good features but these little bugs are confusing beyond believe. Windows 8 is spectacular, but if it doesn't even work with my Microsoft branded keyboard then what's the point?

Oh, sorry to see.

I know that I received several updates before Update 1 finally was seen, so your error could be one of those failures that is preventing your system from having all the prerequisites.

Have you checked the detailed error code and searched online for a solution? Or did the only solution you ran into was to delete the Windows Update database and re-run Windows Update? Mind you, I've had to do the latter a couple of times on previous PCs.

The solution I was given was to install the update form a manual install file which I tried and got the same error. Strangely enough it's not telling me why it's failing, just that it is failing.

Buelligan

macmee, again I am sorry you have had all this trouble with YOUR machine. I am well aware that others have had a problem or two. But with that said I'll wager that the MAJORITY of users are not experiencing these issues. Just because some tech sites, forums and such have a few dozen people complaining doesn't mean MS blew it. They have sold in combination well over a million of these things, even a few thousand people with issues isn't indicative of a bad product or FARCE as you put it. Apple manufactures ALL the equipment that runs their OS and all the software must meet strict guide lines therefor it will almost always work. MS on the other hand has an OS that can run THOUSANDS of third party software, devices and such. So getting ALL this stuff to play nice without any control over it is an INCREDIBLE feat! For me, they seem to accomplish this VERY well. From my perspective Windows works pretty darn good considering all the outside interference. As the family tech guy, 90% of all issues I have to fix are directly related to outside interference or equipment issues (not enough RAM, bad RAM, bad MOBO and such). I have 4 people close to me so far with a Surface and none of them have any issues. So my point is this, if the Surface and the OS were such a mess than EVERYBODY would be having these issues. Just because you and a LARGE handful of others experience these issues does not make this WONDERFUL device a farce. Again not trying to debate this just stating that not EVERYBODY is having these issues and blanket "this thing is a farce" statements don't really mean much. Hope your experience improves soon.

Mike

macmee

macmee, again I am sorry you have had all this trouble with YOUR machine. I am well aware that others have had a problem or two. But with that said I'll wager that the MAJORITY of users are not experiencing these issues. Just because some tech sites, forums and such have a few dozen people complaining doesn't mean MS blew it. They have sold in combination well over a million of these things, even a few thousand people with issues isn't indicative of a bad product or FARCE as you put it. Apple manufactures ALL the equipment that runs their OS and all the software must meet strict guide lines therefor it will almost always work. MS on the other hand has an OS that can run THOUSANDS of third party software, devices and such. So getting ALL this stuff to play nice without any control over it is an INCREDIBLE feat! For me, they seem to accomplish this VERY well. From my perspective Windows works pretty darn good considering all the outside interference. As the family tech guy, 90% of all issues I have to fix are directly related to outside interference or equipment issues (not enough RAM, bad RAM, bad MOBO and such). I have 4 people close to me so far with a Surface and none of them have any issues. So my point is this, if the Surface and the OS were such a mess than EVERYBODY would be having these issues. Just because you and a LARGE handful of others experience these issues does not make this WONDERFUL device a farce. Again not trying to debate this just stating that not EVERYBODY is having these issues and blanket "this thing is a farce" statements don't really mean much. Hope your experience improves soon.

Mike

Never suggested that we all boycott Microsoft chief, just said I wont be sporting any more Surface devices after this one.

edit: by the way guys, I decided to just reinstall Windows as an experiment to see if I get the update. Will keep you informed if it works/doesn't.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

The solution I was given was to install the update form a manual install file which I tried and got the same error. Strangely enough it's not telling me why it's failing, just that it is failing.
In my Update History, when I double-click on a Failed entry, a dialog box pops up which contains some blah, then "Installation status: Failed", then the next line is "Error details: Code xxxx...", then other blah, but an error code is there for all of them.

So when you double-click on your entry, it doesn't have that "Error details" line? Also, have you checked Event Viewer?