What's new

A Patch by any other name would revise no less

macmee

In my Update History, when I double-click on a Failed entry, a dialog box pops up which contains some blah, then "Installation status: Failed", then the next line is "Error details: Code xxxx...", then other blah, but an error code is there for all of them.

So when you double-click on your entry, it doesn't have that "Error details" line? Also, have you checked Event Viewer?

I get the error code. There's a link too that redirects to a 404 page. The official Microsoft page suggested that I use the standalone installer but it too did not work.

I just reinstalled Windows and now it's actually letting me install the March firmware update, wherein previously I don't believe this even showed up in Windows Update. I'll install it and post back.

Dim-Ize

I didn't say "sounds." I said the clicking sound of the virtual keyboard. The other sounds work fine.

Sorry, skellington. but, mine words just as before. have you checked the mixer option to ensure system sounds are matched with the speaker volume?

rp_guy

i've got to say, this one is as bad for me as the botched december firmware update, when I sent them back for replacement.

8.1 update 1 is causing the system to crash every time it goes to sleep (fans full speed, then windows reboots); tap and drag is nice, but implemented very poorly; and i can no longer make the taskbar pop up on touch (as i've enabled auto-hide to maximize screen usage)

macmee

i've got to say, this one is as bad for me as the botched december firmware update, when I sent them back for replacement.

8.1 update 1 is causing the system to crash every time it goes to sleep (fans full speed, then windows reboots); tap and drag is nice, but implemented very poorly; and i can no longer make the taskbar pop up on touch (as i've enabled auto-hide to maximize screen usage)

I had/have that exact same issue only before updating. Check this out:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...f-fan-goes-intense-several-seconds-crash.html

Look at the last post by Guybrush.

Korlon

Mac, where in Canada are you? If there is one near you I would suggest going straight to an MS store and get an exchange. At least you'd be able to try the machine out before you took it home.

Nuspieds

I get the error code. There's a link too that redirects to a 404 page. The official Microsoft page suggested that I use the standalone installer but it too did not work.

I just reinstalled Windows and now it's actually letting me install the March firmware update, wherein previously I don't believe this even showed up in Windows Update. I'll install it and post back.
Ok, well at least that is definitely a promising development. Now let's hope all subsequent updates are also successful.

lparsons21

got 3 machines here, all have the latest update finally.

Acer i3 laptop - let it update everything except the 8.1 update itself. after reboot, then got the 8.1 update with no problem at all.
Asus T100 - same procedure.

My SurfacePro was the first I tried it on and with it I select the 8.1 update in addition to the others. That was definitely NOT the way to do it!! Got all but the 8.1 update which kept failing, even after 3 tries. Got the message and ran the update troubleshooter and it fixed something and said it didn't fix something else. then rebooted and tried the 8.1 update and all went well. I think if I had let it do it the way it wanted to, ie; load the other updates first before offering the 8.1, that things would have gone as smoothly as they did on the other 2 boxes.

macmee

got 3 machines here, all have the latest update finally.

Acer i3 laptop - let it update everything except the 8.1 update itself. after reboot, then got the 8.1 update with no problem at all.
Asus T100 - same procedure.

My SurfacePro was the first I tried it on and with it I select the 8.1 update in addition to the others. That was definitely NOT the way to do it!! Got all but the 8.1 update which kept failing, even after 3 tries. Got the message and ran the update troubleshooter and it fixed something and said it didn't fix something else. then rebooted and tried the 8.1 update and all went well. I think if I had let it do it the way it wanted to, ie; load the other updates first before offering the 8.1, that things would have gone as smoothly as they did on the other 2 boxes.

How do you like the T100 in comparison to the Surface?

Ok, well at least that is definitely a promising development. Now let's hope all subsequent updates are also successful.

I was able to update after fully reinstalling Windows. This somewhat worries me because I don't want to have to reinstall Windows periodically to get windows update working again should I be in a similar situation. I'm hopeful that the sleep crash bug was also fixed with this update. If it was, the reinstall was totally worth it.

Mac, where in Canada are you? If there is one near you I would suggest going straight to an MS store and get an exchange. At least you'd be able to try the machine out before you took it home.

No Microsoft store here I'm afraid. I'll likely be in the States for the Summer however, so I'll be able to get to a store at some point.

lparsons21

How do you like the T100 in comparison to the Surface?

Compared to the Surface (non-pros), the T100 is a much better overall value. Cheaper to buy and runs a full version of Windows instead of the much more limited RT version the Surface does. I think I paid about $350 for the 64Gb version which includes a very nice detachable keyboard. The screen is very good at 720p and the touch is very good. I primarily use it as a tablet without the keyboard while sitting in the recliner. Get 11 hours of use per charge.

I never have figured out why MS brought out the non-pro Surface and hamstrung it with a Windows that is not quite Windows. :)

macmee

Compared to the Surface (non-pros), the T100 is a much better overall value. Cheaper to buy and runs a full version of Windows instead of the much more limited RT version the Surface does. I think I paid about $350 for the 64Gb version which includes a very nice detachable keyboard. The screen is very good at 720p and the touch is very good. I primarily use it as a tablet without the keyboard while sitting in the recliner. Get 11 hours of use per charge.

I never have figured out why MS brought out the non-pro Surface and hamstrung it with a Windows that is not quite Windows. :)

My sentiments exactly, I feel like it would have been a much better idea for the RT tablet to have run either a jailfree version of Windows, or to be based off an Atom instead.

bluegrass

None of our Surfaces are the same. Even identical models with the exact same configuration. We all do are mods, install different apps, ect which explains so many differences in the problems we all post about here. Yes throw in legit problems into the mix. The point is when we discuss or differences, we aren't all playing on the same table and eating the same apples, pun intended. With that said. I just this morning went about getting the big update. First time for what ever reason it didn't complete. The second time it did. I browsed around to view some of the changes. So far I haven't had any problems. I wish I had written it down. There was one update that was mentioned in a couple different news items about installing this update. It stated that this one update had to be completed before the big new one would install. I don't think it would block the update not getting listed though when you click on check for new updates but it certainly would block the new big update from being able to be installed. I'm almost certain that it wasn't the update that the macmee couldn't get to complete. Just Google latest news and read any of the articles that discusses how to do the update and you will see the required update. Since I know a lot of you don't like to do updates, there are probably many that will fail doing this big update because of this one required previous update. I really fell feel bad for all of you that have had a bad go with the Surface and the many who have stuck it out for so long with so many problems like macmee. If you do leave I will miss you're pirate face popping up with a post.

Last edited: