What's new

A Pen Malfunction Perhaps..

So apparently it's been a couple of months since I bought the Surface Pro 4 and I've been enjoying it ever since. Unfortunately, I lost the pen a week ago. I finally found it upstairs in the guest bedroom (How did it get there by the way?), luckily there were no scratches (perfect and in good shape)

I immediately connected the surface pen to the tablet, however the surface tip isn't working. The buttons seem to work just fine (If I hold the eraser button, the sticky note option pops up). I even held it there for 7 seconds approximately and got a small flashing light. Everything seems to be fine except for the pen tip. Yes, it's still not working even thought it is connect.

Is it because of the battery? Please help me.

This is what the pen looks like:
31wfH%2B%2BTucL.jpg

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. First thing to try is removing the nib (just pull it out with teeth, pliersm or whatever takes your fancy) and putting it back in again. I assume you've tried taking the abttery out and putting it back in as well.

OP
A

AmbitiousArtemis

Welcome to the forum. First thing to try is removing the nib (just pull it out with teeth, pliersm or whatever takes your fancy) and putting it back in again. I assume you've tried taking the abttery out and putting it back in as well.

Ah thank you so much. Actually yes I have. I did remove the battery and the pen tip, but still it's not working.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the same issue before, I installed the Surface App from the Microsoft Store then I went to the Bluetooth ADD / REMOVE area, and removed my PEN - Held down the Pen button until I got the blinking light and Re-Added it. Take a look at the pic - While you don't absolutely have to install the Surface App - it will allow you to adjust the pen sensitivity and reprogram the pen button to open applications that you want. Take a look at the pics - Let me know if any of this helped.

One last thing - I did have a pen go bad on me - No matter what I would do, it would not connect. Took it in and got new one as the Microsoft Surface Rep was in the store at the time I visited. He told me to avoid dropping it if at all possible LOL - Yeah he nailed that one.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    283.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    569 KB · Views: 451

awwshoot

Did you also try a new battery? I'm guessing touch works just fine since you have been using it for a bit without the pen?

Yesterday my pen stopped working mid day but touch still worked. Tried it on another surface and still nothing, BUT the Bluetooth end worked. Checked the Surface App and it said the battery was at 88%.

Removed and reinstalled the battery but it still wouldn't write. installed a new battery and it was back up and running.