What's new

A question about USB tethering my Surface 3

stammie

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a newb question but....
I often connect my Surface 3 to my phone via USB to take advantage of its 4G/LTE connection,
I have to do this via USB as my carrier limits me to 4GB a month tethering allowance but by way of an app on my phone they don't see my USB connection and I have in effect a 35-60 meg unlimited mobile connection,
however doing this charges the phone at the same time which is a large drain on the Surface's battery life.
Is there any setting in Windows I can change to turn off the charging or if I buy a data only micro USB cable can I cure this?

leeshor

I don't believe there is a way without turning the USB port off which surely would not help.

OP
S

stammie

Thanks, whilst a data only cable isn't expensive I didn't want to buy one if it would be a waste of my time.
I might be about to buy a SP4 too so hopefully this solution might be the answer for both devices.

OP
S

stammie

I could've sworn a little while ago when I was looking for a different cable I saw loads of data only cables available, now I can only find a USB 3 one, think I might just make sure my external battery is always charged up and have that connected to my Surface when its USB tethered, what's one more cable lol

Omni

Do you really notice a USB charger draining your Surface battery? I charge my phone for long periods from my S2 and have never noticed the battery drain.

OP
S

stammie

Yeah the difference is quite marked, my normal use drains roughly 10% an hour give or take a percentage point or two,
when my phone is tethered its 15%-20% (usually closer to 20%) an hour.
I'm guessing here that the extra drain is because the phone is working at the same time to provide an internet connection rather than just being charged that the increase is so dramatic.

stufried

If you have an old have an old cable, what about using some nail polish and coating PIN1 or gently skinning the cable and cutting the red lead and then taping it up with either heat shrink or electrical tape?

PS: I was jokingly going to say just use a Micro-USB to Micro-USB cable. The power connection leads never seem to function in a Surface 3's Micro-USB slot:)

Omni

Yeah the difference is quite marked, my normal use drains roughly 10% an hour give or take a percentage point or two,
when my phone is tethered its 15%-20% (usually closer to 20%) an hour.
I'm guessing here that the extra drain is because the phone is working at the same time to provide an internet connection rather than just being charged that the increase is so dramatic.

That could be the difference then as I don't use my phone much when charging.