What's new

Solved A Real Head Scratcher - No Sound

Telstar1948

My Surface Book is the i5/8/256/dGPU model. I've had maybe 6 DD's in the last 2 weeks and no BSOD or other weirdness...BUT...

I've downloaded a few older games from Steam and they start and run very well on my SB. I have the new Surface Dock and my Samsung S32D850T 32" monitor is attached through the dock. My external speakers are plugged into the audio-out port in the back of my monitor. I get sound normally from music, videos or whatever through these speakers just fine with my SB hooked up to the dock.

As long as I run a game just on my Surface Book (no dock or DP connection to the monitor), sound through the SB builtin speakers while gaming is fine. If I hook my SB to the dock to play the game using the external monitor, it appears on the monitor but no sound. I bought a new mDP to DP cable (supposed to meet all tech possibilities and demands), but still no sound. Previously, I was using the DP cable Samsung sent with the monitor and I had a DP to mDP adapter to plug it into my dock of SB. With either cable, sound plays fine to my external speakers unless I'm running a game then no game sound. I've bypassed the dock just hooking my external monitor through the mDP port on my SB - same thing. Game runs but no sound.

No problems in Device Manager. I've gone into Sound controls and tested from there. Sound comes through just fine for headphones or external speakers. Oh yeah, I unplugged the external speaker cable from the back of my monitor, plugged in into my headphone jack on the SB while running the game with the monitor attached directly to the SB through the mDP port - no sound to the external speakers.

Anyone run into this before, or does anyone have a good hunch what the problem is?

olimjj

My Surface Book is the i5/8/256/dGPU model. I've had maybe 6 DD's in the last 2 weeks and no BSOD or other weirdness...BUT...

I've downloaded a few older games from Steam and they start and run very well on my SB. I have the new Surface Dock and my Samsung S32D850T 32" monitor is attached through the dock. My external speakers are plugged into the audio-out port in the back of my monitor. I get sound normally from music, videos or whatever through these speakers just fine with my SB hooked up to the dock.

As long as I run a game just on my Surface Book (no dock or DP connection to the monitor), sound through the SB builtin speakers while gaming is fine. If I hook my SB to the dock to play the game using the external monitor, it appears on the monitor but no sound. I bought a new mDP to DP cable (supposed to meet all tech possibilities and demands), but still no sound. Previously, I was using the DP cable Samsung sent with the monitor and I had a DP to mDP adapter to plug it into my dock of SB. With either cable, sound plays fine to my external speakers unless I'm running a game then no game sound. I've bypassed the dock just hooking my external monitor through the mDP port on my SB - same thing. Game runs but no sound.

No problems in Device Manager. I've gone into Sound controls and tested from there. Sound comes through just fine for headphones or external speakers. Oh yeah, I unplugged the external speaker cable from the back of my monitor, plugged in into my headphone jack on the SB while running the game with the monitor attached directly to the SB through the mDP port - no sound to the external speakers.

Anyone run into this before, or does anyone have a good hunch what the problem is?
Just a hunch, but did you restart and/or shutdown and reboot after trying each scenario ?

Last edited:
OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

Just an update. Since setting up my office with my SP3, dock, external monitor etc I've run the audio cable to my speakers from the monitor - there's a convenient audio-out plug in the back. Everything has worked fine. I got the Surface Book and hooked everything up the same way using the new dock. The audio signal went through the DP cable to the monitor and to the speakers as before. This worked for music, videos, whatever...until I ran a game - no sound (this same setup ran the game with sound when using my SP3 with its dock). Today, I decided to plug in the speaker cable directly to the audio-out port in the dock...wallah...sound plays now for the game.

Just goes to show that with things as technically complex as a computer, some things just don't seem to have a ready explanation. Anyway, when running the game on my extended monitor, I've got sound. Now, if I can just get the resolution of the game figured out on the extended monitor!