What's new

A Surface advantage I'd overlooked

Ruffles

My sister in law bought a new HP laptop the other day and brought it over for me to configure etc. I love Win 8 and have it on my Surface and my desktop but my desktop has conventional monitors - no touch. Her laptop was the first time I had used touch on a computer besides my Surface and it drove me CRAZY!

Why you ask? Because every time you touch the screen, it wobbled! This is because of the hinge design on the laptop. The surface is propped up securely with the kickstand in the middle of the tablet. With laptops, you only have the hinge at the bottom. Since using her HP, I've looked at other laptops at Best Buy and Walmart. They all do the same thing. It would really drive me nuts.

Have any of you noticed this? I've always liked the Surface kickstand and now that I know it its design is keeping my tablet from wobbling, I like it even more.

My sister in law bought a new HP laptop the other day and brought it over for me to configure etc. I love Win 8 and have it on my Surface and my desktop but my desktop has conventional monitors - no touch. Her laptop was the first time I had used touch on a computer besides my Surface and it drove me CRAZY!

Why you ask? Because every time you touch the screen, it wobbled! This is because of the hinge design on the laptop. The surface is propped up securely with the kickstand in the middle of the tablet. With laptops, you only have the hinge at the bottom. Since using her HP, I've looked at other laptops at Best Buy and Walmart. They all do the same thing. It would really drive me nuts.

Have any of you noticed this? I've always liked the Surface kickstand and now that I know it its design is keeping my tablet from wobbling, I like it even more.

this is one thing that kept me away from a touch screen laptop, it drove me crazy with the screen moving around

CrippsCorner

Never thought of that actually, so yes it's a good point. There must be someone out there capable of making a laptop work without it being so flexible...

bluegrass

Never thought of that actually, so yes it's a good point. There must be someone out there capable of making a laptop work without it being so flexible...

I was thinking the same thing. I figured if I ever had to deal with it, I would hold my other hand in back of the display to support it from wobbling.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Touchscreen Ultrabook and never used the screen because of the Wobble...