What's new

A Tablet You Can Actually Do Work On

MSurfaceWA

So I know there have been a few negative reviews on the Surface lately, and they absolutely confuse me. Maybe they are not testing using the same criteria I would find valuable, but you have to give Microsoft credit for building a tablet you can actually work on. I'm out of the office today, but I took my Surface with me and right now I am -

- using the RT browser with 4 tabs open (one of them to write this message)
- using the desktop browser to run a flash player of my favorite radio station
- Skype is open where I am taking calls and messaging people from work
- email app is open where I am doing both work and personal email (2 accounts)
- calendar app is open and have scheduled two meetings
- Word is open in desktop mode where I am working on a document
- task manager is open to check on utilization

I am getting all my notifications - Email, Skype, and from the calendar. Utilization ranges from 20+% with spikes up to 80%. No noticeable lag or anything that has made things unproductive. Combined with the stand and the type keyboard, the Surface is fully useable for me as a laptop replacement when travelling.

I don't know any other tablet that can multitask to this level, as well as take advantage of flash and Microsoft Office.

If any of the above is criteria for you to consider the Surface, then you will be very pleased.

Thanks,
MSurfaceWA

v10type-r

Agreed on all points. I just got mine on Sunday and my wife uses it too.

Last night I showed her how she can have an excel spreadsheet open along with her email on the screen at once, this allowed her to blast through our xmas cards to our family and friends.. really productive.

Reviewers need to realize the capability of the Surface RT, and when/if they ever do they'll realize how great it is. iPad might be better at consuming media and have a higher resolution screen (for now), but I still consider the iPad just a giant iPod Touch.

Br1an_g

i have been telling all my IT friends what a great piece of kit the surface is and the main thing I keep saying is true multi tasking on screen.. its a better work device than most laptops. love its integration to xbox for music, video and games. and office with skydrive and remote desktop just sweeten the deal.i did notice Samsung have multi window on the note 2 and are rolling it out for the s3, I wonder if they pay MS royalties for that feature...:)

guitar1969

Just goes to show how biased the non tech community is to Apple. I have enjoyed my Surface from day 1 - i am most impressed by the flexibility of having the desktop and being able to manipulate files, attach to networks and print. Also, with the ability to access the registry, just think about all the customization you can do. The issue is the non-tech community is what drives sales, and all they care about is wheter or not thety can play Angry birds, or have a Facebook app. I just don't understand it - The Surface Browser gives you full access to Facebook - Why would I want a limiting app?

I just don't get it, but I stopped trying to sell my non-tech friends on the more advanced gadgets as it will inevitably create more work for me trying to help them fix issues . . .

Last edited:

ArnoldC

I got my Surface last Saturday and I have not used my Acer S3 since. I am trying to "live" with the Surface RT experience. Of course, when I need Capture NX 2 and Hyper-V, I need to get the Acer from the bag. :D

wardo5757

It seems most people are using a different measuring stick when reviewing the Surface. Every review I have read and watched compares the Surface to a PC, when making this comparison it does fall short. But if these people would be honest and compare it to other tablets and most ultra-thins this device leaves the competition in the dust, bang for buck it cannot be touched! I’ve owned the Ipad and still have 2 Google pads I need to get rid of, those tablets aren’t in the same league as the Surface. Sure, millions of app between Google and Apple combined, the Surface already has about every app I use and if not there I have a full browser to get what I need done done! I love it, this is the best $649 I’ve spent in a while…
Just want to add that WP8 is kicking ass too! I am all Microsoft now and not looking back

Griff

Surface has allowed me to sell my MacBook Pro and iPad. I'm not bashing Apple... I loved both of those products, but I didn't like having a laptop for production/consumption and then an iPad for slightly more convenient consumption. Surface and SkyDrive actually make my life easier.... My wife and I just welcomed our first child into the world six weeks ago and I'm all about making things easier when I can.

J515OP

Super Moderator
For the most part is sounds like MS has exactly hit their mark. Are their some issues and compromises? Sure but over time particularly as Windows 8 becomes wide spread, many people will likely be enlightened by what MS is doing.

vdek

For the most part is sounds like MS has exactly hit their mark. Are their some issues and compromises? Sure but over time particularly as Windows 8 becomes wide spread, many people will likely be enlightened by what MS is doing.

Just wait until the next generation ARM processors come out! Surface V2 will be so fast...

NickMilner

Hi all! Yes, this is the main thing for me. For the first time I've found a truly mobile device that is capable of reading and writing our standard (hideously complex) corporate spreadsheets! I can take my Surface away on business, access our internal SharePoint system and read/write documents for the first time without the need for a full Windows installation. This is a *massive* deal for me.

If Sky released a "Sky Go" app I could ditch my iPad altogether.

/edit - first post!

Horace

Hi all! Yes, this is the main thing for me. For the first time I've found a truly mobile device that is capable of reading and writing our standard (hideously complex) corporate spreadsheets! I can take my Surface away on business, access our internal SharePoint system and read/write documents for the first time without the need for a full Windows installation. This is a *massive* deal for me.

If Sky released a "Sky Go" app I could ditch my iPad altogether.

/edit - first post!

Yeah, exactly. Keeping the iPad only for Sky Go so let's hope Sky get their act together.

OP
M

MSurfaceWA

Just wait until the next generation ARM processors come out! Surface V2 will be so fast...

I wonder if faster ARM processors may sway Microsoft to convert more core apps to run on the RT version? I'm still going to checkout the Pro model, but i'm expecting the size, weight, and battery life compromise to be too great. An ARM version with more core windows apps might be a good compromise?