What's new

A year of issues - a happy ending

godson594

Welp,

Been a while since I posted... Anyhow I had a ton of problems with my surface pro 2 was on replacement #3 (squeaky screen) - Anyhow number 3 started to do the same friggin thing...

Long story short, I got a full refund in form of a store credit today...

Felt good to finally get rid of this thing :)

Microsoft did the right thing which is awesome

grumpy

Welp,

Been a while since I posted... Anyhow I had a ton of problems with my surface pro 2 was on replacement #3 (squeaky screen) - Anyhow number 3 started to do the same friggin thing...

Long story short, I got a full refund in form of a store credit today...

Felt good to finally get rid of this thing :)

Microsoft did the right thing which is awesome
I am happy to hear that things have worked out for you. I was wondering if you could elaborate on what avenues you took to finally get a refund. I tried to pursue a refund during my last interaction with the Surface Care Team, but that seemed like a non starter. I too have been through multiple exchanges and each refurbished machine seems worse than the last. I have actually taken a break from this merry-go-round and I am just living with my issues. I figured that with the extended warranty, I have some time. Speaking of which, did you have the extended warranty, and if so, did the refund cover that (and accessories such as the TC2)?

The funny thing is, if I were to get a refund, I would probably get a new 4300u SP2 - making sure to fully test it out during the return period. I actually really like the SP2, it is just a shame that MS has so many quality control problems and their support is so poor.

InspectHerGadget

I am happy to hear that things have worked out for you. I was wondering if you could elaborate on what avenues you took to finally get a refund. I tried to pursue a refund during my last interaction with the Surface Care Team, but that seemed like a non starter. I too have been through multiple exchanges and each refurbished machine seems worse than the last. I have actually taken a break from this merry-go-round and I am just living with my issues. I figured that with the extended warranty, I have some time. Speaking of which, did you have the extended warranty, and if so, did the refund cover that (and accessories such as the TC2)?

The funny thing is, if I were to get a refund, I would probably get a new 4300u SP2 - making sure to fully test it out during the return period. I actually really like the SP2, it is just a shame that MS has so many quality control problems and their support is so poor.

Well I agree there seem to be quite a few QC issues and it will be worse with the SP3 as it is a new model with a lot of changes.

I tried the SP3 and really liked it except for the pen and inking. I made the mistake of not selling the SP2 first and so I was able to compare them side by side. I thought and still think that the SP2 is a damned good product and I like the size and design, especially the passive pen, as there is nothing to go wrong. I like the inking too. Even some of the negatives like the crap TrackPad is easy enough to overcome using my Arc Mouse. The size is actually better for me and there is even a place to stow my pen. I have appointments each day out of the house and I carry it under my arm with the pen clipped into the power adapter socket, as intended.

grumpy

Well I agree there seem to be quite a few QC issues and it will be worse with the SP3 as it is a new model with a lot of changes.
I am not interested n the SP3. I am am rather disappointed with what I have read about the SP3. In my opinion, MS compromised too much for the sake of a few millimeters and 100g. I rather like the SP2, and I think that it struck a good balance - I just wish mine was defect free.

InspectHerGadget

I am not interested n the SP3. I am am rather disappointed with what I have read about the SP3. In my opinion, MS compromised too much for the sake of a few millimeters and 100g. I rather like the SP2, and I think that it struck a good balance - I just wish mine was defect free.
+1

OP
G

godson594

I walked in sat my surface pro 2 down got a manager and looked him dead in the face and said "I'm done with this device" explained this was #3 and I'm not willing to take another replacement. I explained I purchased this as a professional device for my design work and its done nothing but waste my time.

I had purchased a Lenovo laptop in the meantime and my surface was in a closet. I figured what the hell i feel ripped off its worth a try.

GoodBytes

I would wait for the SP4.
It should feature Intel next gen CPU, which is expected to be much cooler operating, longer battery life, and a bit more powerful, which I personally think the SP3 initially design for. Plus, they should polish the device even more.
As the new Intel CPU coming out, if rumors are true, will integrate more components inside, it could mean Microsoft might be able to fit a second USB port. Maybe even the new USB 3.1 if Intel supports it. If they do, I expect a full size USB 3.1 port, and the coming up Type C as the second one.

Type C USB is pretty beast. It fits on either side, it is small and compact, yet the USB group says it is more durable than micro-USB. It can output 100W of power (although I doubt this will happen, as the Surface Pro will need a minimum 100W power supply just for the USB, but very cool none the less (at least for desktop computers)), it is super fast at 10Gbits/s transfers, and can carry Display Port signal.

But we will see, it depends on when Type C comes out with USB 3.1. If it's at the end of the year, and Intel has it's new CPU out, then most likely not, as the device is already engineered, and be pushed to SP5. If they already have an engineering sample, than yes.

DSC_3533-e1411066824480.jpg

DSC_3545-e1411066951678.jpg

Source of pictures: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DSC_3545-e1411066951678.jpg

grumpy

I walked in sat my surface pro 2 down got a manager and looked him dead in the face and said "I'm done with this device" explained this was #3 and I'm not willing to take another replacement. I explained I purchased this as a professional device for my design work and its done nothing but waste my time.

I had purchased a Lenovo laptop in the meantime and my surface was in a closet. I figured what the hell i feel ripped off its worth a try.
I was afraid of that. I guess if I am ever near an MS store, I'll drop in and hit the manager over the head with my SP2....

mwsvette

I guess I have been lucky. I have had an SP1 128, SP1 256 and SP2 256 and have not had any quality control issues. Most of the issues I have had were with the SP1 and was aware of them before my purchase (ie... SP1-short battery life, single position kickstand, windows 8). None of the three had the quality control issues I read about here in the forum. I sold the SP1 128 to buy the SP2 256. I have kept the SP1 256 as a back-up but have not needed it. During the time I have owned the SP2 256 I have found it to be one of the best all around computers I have ever owned. I use it as a desktop, laptop, and tablet for notes and consumption.

I have looked at the SP3, but I like the size of the SP2 and have purchased the case, extra power supplies and docks. Also the SP3 throttling issue would be a problem as I am a gamer.

So while I am glad your happy ending was a return. My happy ending began with my SP2.

OP
G

godson594

I guess I have been lucky. I have had an SP1 128, SP1 256 and SP2 256 and have not had any quality control issues. Most of the issues I have had were with the SP1 and was aware of them before my purchase (ie... SP1-short battery life, single position kickstand, windows 8). None of the three had the quality control issues I read about here in the forum. I sold the SP1 128 to buy the SP2 256. I have kept the SP1 256 as a back-up but have not needed it. During the time I have owned the SP2 256 I have found it to be one of the best all around computers I have ever owned. I use it as a desktop, laptop, and tablet for notes and consumption.

I have looked at the SP3, but I like the size of the SP2 and have purchased the case, extra power supplies and docks. Also the SP3 throttling issue would be a problem as I am a gamer.

So while I am glad your happy ending was a return. My happy ending began with my SP2.

I'm sure if I never (pushed) the machine I wouldn't have had the squeaky screen issue. It's not coincidence it happened on 3 different ones. I baby my devices so it wasn't that I was being rough. I have a surface pro 3 right now but i'm debating returning it and just waiting till next year and see what devices come out.

InspectHerGadget

I was reading the thread again.

It seems to me there is a benefit buying second hand especially if you know what the potential issues are. I bought my SP2 second hand for half the new price and it passed the audition.

I am serious. You don't know what you're getting buying brand new with Microsoft and it can take weeks to exchange stuff.

mwsvette

I have purchased 3 Surface Pro's. The first was a refurbished SP1 128 from the Microsoft Store, but I really wanted a bigger ssd. Sold the SP1 128 on craigslist for $30.00 more than I paid Microsoft. I bought a used SP1 256 on Ebay. When they announced the SP3, I was able to find a SP2 256 used on Ebay for less then half the prior owner paid at Best Buy 2 months before. As far as returns, that has not been necessary, but there are 2 Microsoft stores here in town. On the SP2 the prior owner did not register with Microsoft and I got the full one year warranty. Long and short very very happy with my Surfaces.