What's new

A year of issues - a happy ending

mwsvette

I'm sure if I never (pushed) the machine I wouldn't have had the squeaky screen issue. It's not coincidence it happened on 3 different ones. I baby my devices so it wasn't that I was being rough. I have a surface pro 3 right now but i'm debating returning it and just waiting till next year and see what devices come out.

When you say "pushed" it, do mean letting it get hot? If so do you think the adhesive used to hold the Surface together gave out?

I have pushed my SP2 playing games, while it has never shut down the area near the power switch does get pretty darn warm.

OP
G

godson594

When you say "pushed" it, do mean letting it get hot? If so do you think the adhesive used to hold the Surface together gave out?

I have pushed my SP2 playing games, while it has never shut down the area near the power switch does get pretty darn warm.

That's what I mean. I push it rendering in Solid Works. Adhesive gets loose, eventually starts making noise when I grip it or use the pen.

OP
G

godson594

Silicon Valley is a bad place to own a Surface, especially if you are close to Apple HQ.

It sucks... I absolutely hate using OSX and not having touch on my Macbook. I ended up taking back the Surface Pro 3 and a Surface 2 my girlfriend wanted. Limited Wifi after waking from sleep on both devices and then on her Surface 2 it started opening all websites as the "mobile" versions "I tried various tweaks which worked until rebooting" :(

Surface family is just not meant for me. Maybe if I had the time to tinker and fix all the annoying bugs I could rough it out. It's a shame because I had been wanting a device like this forever and I really REALLy tried to make everything work.

Least I have a 1500.00 store credit. I'll just ride it out until something else interesting is available at the Microsoft store.

olimjj

It sucks... I absolutely hate using OSX and not having touch on my Macbook. I ended up taking back the Surface Pro 3 and a Surface 2 my girlfriend wanted. Limited Wifi after waking from sleep on both devices and then on her Surface 2 it started opening all websites as the "mobile" versions "I tried various tweaks which worked until rebooting" :(

Surface family is just not meant for me. Maybe if I had the time to tinker and fix all the annoying bugs I could rough it out. It's a shame because I had been wanting a device like this forever and I really REALLy tried to make everything work.

Least I have a 1500.00 store credit. I'll just ride it out until something else interesting is available at the Microsoft store.

Unfortunate experience, but the credit you received should allay that somewhat. I could understand you missing the touch capability, but what is it about OSX that you "absolutely hate using"?

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

OS X is just another operating system. When people say they hate it, it normally means that they're not used to using it. After all if they knew it really well and constantly hated using it and had done so for years, they're either stupid or they had no choice.

olimjj

OS X is just another operating system. When people say they hate it, it normally means that they're not used to using it. After all if they knew it really well and constantly hated using it and had done so for years, they're either stupid or they had no choice.

Thank you for your interpretation, but I did not want to assume any motivation on the authors part. I addressed the question to godson594 and it his response I am interested in.

OP
G

godson594

Thank you for your interpretation, but I did not want to assume any motivation on the authors part. I addressed the question to godson594 and it his response I am interested in.

The only thing I love is the trackpad. I have yet to find a Windows laptop with anything close...

With that being said... When I say I hate OSX

It's buggy...
1) I use and external monitor and my menu bar randomly jumps from one screen to the other (it drives me nuts)
2) The Bluetooth audio randomly &*(^(* up and I have to kill core audio/restart to make it work again, so I no longer use bluetooth headphones I went back to my wired
3) Create a new folder on desktop and it doesn't always let me rename it after creation
4) Creating a new text file - annoys me I can't right click and do it (maybe I'm stupid with this one - but when I create a text file it does the same thing as new folder and doesn't always let me rename it) and when I say rename, I mean I still have to take an extra step after creation to do it.
5) Sometimes I have to mirror my screen to an AppleTV for presentations and guess what, theres an audio bug where it won't play through the TV and audio plays on laptop (search google if you don't believe me)
6) I hate hitting command + delete to delete something :)
7) Installing new software is stupid - download, open, drag and drop to applications folder reopen it
8) Mice do not feel the same in OSX as they do in Windows - sluggish is that the word i'm looking for?
9) This one amazes me - If WifI is enabled and I plug ethernet in, the computer will still use WiFi lol, you have to manually disable wifi to use a hardwired internet connection
10) There is no shortcut I can put in my toolbar to show desktop (ya ya I know there are trackpads commands)

Anyways - I have to use it for Xcode and debugging iOS devices... If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be using a mac at all really.

At home I use Windows for everything else unless it's laying in bed with the iPad.

olimjj

The only thing I love is the trackpad. I have yet to find a Windows laptop with anything close...

With that being said... When I say I hate OSX

It's buggy...
1) I use and external monitor and my menu bar randomly jumps from one screen to the other (it drives me nuts)
2) The Bluetooth audio randomly &*(^(* up and I have to kill core audio/restart to make it work again, so I no longer use bluetooth headphones I went back to my wired
3) Create a new folder on desktop and it doesn't always let me rename it after creation
4) Creating a new text file - annoys me I can't right click and do it (maybe I'm stupid with this one - but when I create a text file it does the same thing as new folder and doesn't always let me rename it) and when I say rename, I mean I still have to take an extra step after creation to do it.
5) Sometimes I have to mirror my screen to an AppleTV for presentations and guess what, theres an audio bug where it won't play through the TV and audio plays on laptop (search google if you don't believe me)
6) I hate hitting command + delete to delete something :)
7) Installing new software is stupid - download, open, drag and drop to applications folder reopen it
8) Mice do not feel the same in OSX as they do in Windows - sluggish is that the word i'm looking for?
9) This one amazes me - If WifI is enabled and I plug ethernet in, the computer will still use WiFi lol, you have to manually disable wifi to use a hardwired internet connection
10) There is no shortcut I can put in my toolbar to show desktop (ya ya I know there are trackpads commands)

Anyways - I have to use it for Xcode and debugging iOS devices... If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be using a mac at all really.

At home I use Windows for everything else unless it's laying in bed with the iPad.
Thank you for your response. Not being a OSX full time user I was curious to know the things that annoyed you. Each OS has its own set of annoyances except for the yet to be released perfect one.