What's new

About Extended Service Plan (Warranty)

kristalsoldier

Hi all,

I have a quick question about the Extended Warranty with Accidental Damage Cover.

I bought my SP3 on release day. I was in Canada at the time. I was told that I could buy the extended warranty in the UK (which is where I am currently stationed).

Back in the UK I tried to buy the warranty but the options don't exist - I think this is because the SP3 has not been released in UK (will happen soon, I believe). Regardless, I called up MS Support (in the UK) and posed the question to them. The response I got was a bit worrying. Essentially they said that my options were limited to buying a warranty from the MS Canada site and that my SP3 - since it was bought in Canada - was not eligible for warranty (the extended service plan) in the UK.

I had specifically queried the MS Store Manager in Canada where I bought the SP3 and she had assured me that I could buy the warranty in the UK since buying the warranty in Canada would mean that I would have to send the device back to Canada, which is logistically impossible to do from my point of view.

What is your take on this?

Thanks in advance!

Nuspieds

It doesn't surprise me at all that warranties and extended warranties are locale-specific. Moreover, some manufacturers customize their products depending on the geographic location; thus, all their products are not equal globally, so neither could be their warranty options as well.

Consumer and/or international trade laws could also influence if/how a product can be supported in a different location from which it was purchased. For me, I would think that the region where I purchased the product is the region that will provide me the support.

Regarding what you were told, that also doesn't surprise me. I once purchased a gift card in the US and specifically asked if it would work in their stores in Canada. I was told yes. How untrue that turned out to be! :( Some of these people just don't know and instead of saying so, they instead answer in the affirmative.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

It doesn't surprise me at all that warranties and extended warranties are locale-specific. Moreover, some manufacturers customize their products depending on the geographic location; thus, all their products are not equal globally, so neither could be their warranty options as well.

Consumer and/or international trade laws could also influence if/how a product can be supported in a different location from which it was purchased. For me, I would think that the region where I purchased the product is the region that will provide me the support.

Regarding what you were told, that also doesn't surprise me. I once purchased a gift card in the US and specifically asked if it would work in their stores in Canada. I was told yes. How untrue that turned out to be! :( Some of these people just don't know and instead of saying so, they instead answer in the affirmative.

Thanks. But I am not looking for a Global Warranty. I am looking for a UK-centric warranty. In fact, when I go to the warranty page, I get a notification saying that if my SP3 is replaced under warranty, it will be replaced by a localized machine (which is fine with me). I find this very odd. OTOH, I notice that Apple has a Global Warranty.

Nuspieds

Thanks. But I am not looking for a Global Warranty. I am looking for a UK-centric warranty. In fact, when I go to the warranty page, I get a notification saying that if my SP3 is replaced under warranty, it will be replaced by a localized machine (which is fine with me). I find this very odd. OTOH, I notice that Apple has a Global Warranty.
Yes, I know you're not looking for global, just warranty support in a location that differs from where you purchased the device. Again, this does not surprise me that it is not possible unless the manufacturer specifically has a global warranty option.

We are so globalized these days that one would think that it should not be an issue; unfortunately, when dealing with some vendors, it obviously is still the case.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Yes, I know you're not looking for global, just warranty support in a location that differs from where you purchased the device. Again, this does not surprise me that it is not possible unless the manufacturer specifically has a global warranty option.

We are so globalized these days that one would think that it should not be an issue; unfortunately, when dealing with some vendors, it obviously is still the case.

I fully agree! If MS wants to play a good game with their HW, then they need to pay attention to this kind of stuff because as much as I don't want to (and don't like to) compare MS with Apple, clearly, Apple is much better in such things.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can they offer a global warranty before the device is even shipping globally? Wait a few weeks and maybe things will change.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

My understanding from some of my sources, once the SP3 launches in the UK you SHOULD be able to get the UK warranty....

Hi Jeff...

Thanks very much! This is music to my ears - not too long to wait now! Btw, I (and I am sure everyone) will be looking forward to your field report!!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a couple of posts I'm working on, but I'm also trying to dig out of being gone for 2 weeks :)