What's new

About to get SB2 13"-worried about coil whine!

wynand32

My apologies as I can definitely see the gravity of specifying which actual model I am citing - especially in the event of someone contemplating investing a large stack hard earned Benjamin's. Honestly Wyand32 - I appreciate the correction as I would hate to steer someone in the wrong direction.

Oh, sure, didn't mean to come across the wrong way, I was in a bit of a rush. The reason I say it's important to note which model is because the 13.5-inch has far more reports of coil whine than the 15-inch. The 13.5-inch model I used for a bit to write a review had incredibly bad coil whine, whereas the 15-inch models I've used (I had to go through three to get one without issues) had almost no coil whine. Or, to be precise, only one 15-inch had noticeable coil whine, and it wasn't nearly as bad as the 13.5-inch.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, sure, didn't mean to come across the wrong way, I was in a bit of a rush. The reason I say it's important to note which model is because the 13.5-inch has far more reports of coil whine than the 15-inch. The 13.5-inch model I used for a bit to write a review had incredibly bad coil whine, whereas the 15-inch models I've used (I had to go through three to get one without issues) had almost no coil whine. Or, to be precise, only one 15-inch had noticeable coil whine, and it wasn't nearly as bad as the 13.5-inch.

Your fine, and you are correct - I should have specified, I definitely see your point(s). I haven't had a chance to review the 13.5-inch model, but the 15-Inch is extremely quiet. I don't know if Microsoft will attempt to fix the 13.5-inch by patching it to adjust power levels, or perhaps a hardware adjustment down the line. From what I have been able to gather, most manufacturers don't see coil whine as an actual defect.

wynand32

Your fine, and you are correct - I should have specified, I definitely see your point(s). I haven't had a chance to review the 13.5-inch model, but the 15-Inch is extremely quiet. I don't know if Microsoft will attempt to fix the 13.5-inch by patching it to adjust power levels, or perhaps a hardware adjustment down the line. From what I have been able to gather, most manufacturers don't see coil whine as an actual defect.

Yes, the bolded part is worth noting: I've reviewed a few other eighth-generation Intel Core notebooks that also had coil whine, so this definitely isn't unique to the SB2. In most cases (as in most SB2s I've personally used), it's not enough to be a real issue, but it's been there.

Pix

I recently bought a SB2, 13, 16gb 512ssd. I've alredalsent the first one back because of coil whine. Got a new one some days ago, and it still has coil whine when plugged and in high performance mode. Very disappointed, especially considering the price...