What's new

About to get SB2 13"-worried about coil whine!

psavi

Own a SP3 Pro and have decided to upgrade to the SB2 13",i7, 8 ram. However, I am seeing numerous comments of moderate to very severe coil whine when the SB2 is charging. Many adjust the performance setting to reduce with mixed result. Hence, I did not hit the "buy" icon.
Is this still an ongoing issue problematic to the 13"?
At this point, I may do a store pickup and test the whine on site.
Totally kills my enthusiasm, as I work in a very quiet environment.
Anyone?

BubbaUK

With my Surface Brick refund in the bank, I decided to get a SB2 i7/8Gb/256Gb. I went into a local Currys store where the exact model was on show, and indeed it had a whine, noticeable even in the noise in the store. I chose not to proceed with purchase for that reason (& must say I was rather taken with the cheaper HP Spectre X360, which I'm researching now).

I'd also be interested to hear if the whine is pervasive or only affects some configurations.

OP
P

psavi

I bit the bullet and received today via Fedex my SB2 i7, 8mb ram.
This thing is the quietest laptop I have ever used. Multiple apps open, video running and installing
updates at same time with it set to Best Performance. "Dead Quiet". If I place my ear by the fan
perforations I hear the faintest little sound. Located in a extreme silent room.
I have seen these coil whine threads not only on this forum, but many,many others and also in some
sites tech reviews.
We'll monitor but no issues at all.

wynand32

I have a SB 15" 16 gb 512 Gb and no Whine at all it's completely silent.

Same here; it's absolutely quiet.

I bit the bullet and received today via Fedex my SB2 i7, 8mb ram.
This thing is the quietest laptop I have ever used. Multiple apps open, video running and installing
updates at same time with it set to Best Performance. "Dead Quiet". If I place my ear by the fan
perforations I hear the faintest little sound. Located in a extreme silent room.
I have seen these coil whine threads not only on this forum, but many,many others and also in some
sites tech reviews.
We'll monitor but no issues at all.
According to most accounts (and my own experience), the 15" units typically have very little coil whine. If the third person here has a 13", then either it's a winner in the coil whine lottery or Microsoft has resolved something.

OP
P

psavi

Quiet,quiet,quiet!!!! On best performance, have office apps, videos, music, downloads,26 tabs in chrome open and running at 96% memory utilized.
Slightly warm and I have yet to hear a fan at all!
NO WHINE and I am not deaf! 13" SB2
If it wasn't for the minimal amount of heat, I would wonder if the fans work.
Going to find that racing car game to see if I can stress this more.

BubbaUK

That's good to hear, I guess MS has fixed it. I was reading about the HP Spectre X360 and reputedly that had coil whine with the i7-7xxx machines, but HP fixed it in the i7-8xxxx series.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's important to note whether it's a 13.5-inch or 15-inch model.

My apologies as I can definitely see the gravity of specifying which actual model I am citing - especially in the event of someone contemplating investing a large stack hard earned Benjamin's. Honestly Wyand32 - I appreciate the correction as I would hate to steer someone in the wrong direction.