What's new

About to Hop on the Surface Pro Train...

Fourskim

As a little background, I'm an undergrad accounting student. Pretty intent on hopping on the Surface Pro train tomorrow. The big things that piqued my interest was the bundle that Microsoft sells along with the pro. My alternative was a Sager NP7330 laptop, but I REALLY shouldn't be gaming during my last 2 years of undergrad, so I decided against that purchase. So is there anything else that should be stopping me from a SP besides a haswell refresh? Thanks. :D

oion

I take it the bundle you're thinking of includes Office 365, maybe for two years. Oh, you want to stay away from gaming? I'm not sure the Pro would be the right choice, then. :p Though maybe you need accounting software so you can't use the RT.

If you don't already have a desktop and need other software and can recharge at least 2-3x a day for regular use, the Pro is a fine choice. But if you have a primary computer already and/or only need Office and solid battery life, the RT is a much cheaper choice. Just be sure you're buying into your use case, is the only real advice... Hopefully you were able to play with one in person too. The keyboards and screen angle aren't for everyone.

errorproxy

Too heavy for a tablet, too big of a foot print for a laptop. Kickstand non adjustable. Mg coat chips and scratches off easily. Have to twist around in audiojack to keep out artifacts. DPI in desktop makes things difficult. Touch Cover keyboard mouse pad is wonky. There's no swipe from side capablity as well.

Last edited:

demandarin

Go for it. Its a great device. Had it a lil over a week now. Very impressive device IMO. And the type cover works great! The pro with i5 and full blown windows is where it's at.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Too heavy for a tablet, too big of a foot print for a laptop. Kickstand non adjustable. Mg coat chips and scratches off easily. Have to twist around in audiojack to keep out artifacts. DPI in desktop makes things difficult. Touch Cover keyboard mouse pad is wonky. There's no swipe from side capablity as well.

Quite a first post....we take it you're not a fan of the Surface Pro, have you met Mitch yet?