What's new

access windows 10 OneNote from another computer user account

surface001

I have a Surface Pro 3 with windows 10. I uninstalled Windows 10 onenote and installed desktop OneNote 2016 few weeks ago. Now I installed back the Windows 10 version of OneNote. I have two user accounts on the Surface Pro 3 computer. The newly installed Windows 10 OneNote works fine for the user account installed it. But it is not available to my another computer user account, no matter that account is Administrator or not. How to make the installed OneNote available to another computer account?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You can set up either the same username (email) on both computers, or add a second user to the second computer which has the same username as the first.

min the end, your files, including OneNote and OneDrive documents are organized by Microsoft user account, not computer.
Hope this helps.

OP
S

surface001

You can set up either the same username (email) on both computers, or add a second user to the second computer which has the same username as the first.

min the end, your files, including OneNote and OneDrive documents are organized by Microsoft user account, not computer.
Hope this helps.
no, what I am saying is the Windows 10 OneNote program/software is not available to the other computer user account. I cannot find the shortcut of the Windows 10 OneNote program. I am not talking about the Microsoft account. I don't want to use the online version of OneNote. I want to start the Windows 10 OneNote software on my another computer user account to access my Microsoft account.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
no, what I am saying is the Windows 10 OneNote program/software is not available to the other computer user account. I cannot find the shortcut of the Windows 10 OneNote program. I am not talking about the Microsoft account. I don't want to use the online version of OneNote. I want to start the Windows 10 OneNote software on my another computer user account to access my Microsoft account.

Oh. Sorry for my confusion.

To get OneNote on your computer, open the Microsoft Store and search for OneNote. It is free.

OP
S

surface001

Oh. Sorry for my confusion.

To get OneNote on your computer, open the Microsoft Store and search for OneNote. It is free.
I have two user accounts on my computer, user1 and user2. I have installed the Windows 10 OneNote when I login as user1. Then I logout/restart my Surface Pro and login as user2, there is no Windows 10 OneNote program/software shortcut. if I search OneNote, it does not show either. I change user2 account type to Administrator, it is the same. OneNote shortcut doesn't show.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t “search OneNote”.
Instead ...

1 Open the Microsoft App Store
2 Search FOR OneNote
3 Get OneNote
4 Start OneNote

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows store apps are only available to the user account that installed.

OneNote is a Windows Store app and is free and available to all users.

Annotation 2020-01-09 153555.png

rkw

Yes but what i'm saying is if one user logs in and downloads and installs Onenote other users don't have access. The other user would have to download and install after they login.
you are wanting to have a shared One Note install that each user on your system can access? Yes?

I haven't done that setup in a long time but during install, any Windows app, you can install for just the active account doing the install or as an a shared app on the system.

I've been out of IT for over 10yrs so forgive me for not remembering the exact location of those settings.

You can always setup a "group" with access to a given app or even files then you can add each user to that group. They will have both shared and private files but you need to setup that just right.

Mapped drives are also great here to cut down typing shared file locations....just map a drive letter to the shared file location as well as user private file locations.

ScottyS

Yes but what i'm saying is if one user logs in and downloads and installs Onenote other users don't have access. The other user would have to download and install after they login.
Do you want different users to share the same Microsoft account, or do you just want other users to be able to open and share the same OneNote notebook?