What's new

Accessing Email without a data plan

Robyn

I have just purchased the surface RT without a data plan. I access internet via wi-fi or tethering my iphone to it. Is it possible to access email without a data plan. I have tried all configurations and am having trouble getting it set up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

kristalsoldier

I have just purchased the surface RT without a data plan. I access internet via wi-fi or tethering my iphone to it. Is it possible to access email without a data plan. I have tried all configurations and am having trouble getting it set up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi...

Not quite sure what you mean. To access mail - it could be webmail (like Gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo or your workplace's webmail (if they have one) but also other IMAP-centric mail (like hosted email accounts - all you need is connectivity - either by wifi or through your phone's 3G/ 4G-LTE connection - to the internet. In the latter case (tethering), you pay nothing extra as you use the existing connection on your phone - but you must have your carrier's permission to tether devices to your phone's internet/ data connection. Also, since the Surface RT (and the Pro) are not data-connection enabled, there is no data plan against which they are sold.

machistmo

You need to have a data plan and have tethering enabled by your carrier. Both have costs associated. Data packages are part of my monthly subscription fee, well they are rolled into the bill. Verizon chargers 10$US for tethering. Keep in mind also that if you choose to use a phone for tethering and have say, Verizon as your carrier, incoming calls will mean losing your data hook and while you are on the phone talking, you cannot send email or use data services.