What's new

Accessing iPhone photos?

adambravo

Yes, I know--mixing Apple and Microsoft is dangerous...

So, when I plug my iPhone into my desktop, I can read it like a hard drive and pull photos off it from the DCIM folder. When I plug it into my Surface, it says the folder is empty--even when it's not. Any ideas?

Hstakz

Try this, this guy really puts surface to the test and plugs in an iphone 5.
[video=youtube;gH9DHTKAIhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9DHTKAIhU[/video]

OP
A

adambravo

Try this, this guy really puts surface to the test and plugs in an iphone 5.
[video=youtube;gH9DHTKAIhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9DHTKAIhU[/video]

Yes, he does--and, unfortunately, he also notes the inability to extract photos from the iPhone...

bosamar

Why not use a Desktop PC and then place them on a USB stick. Otherwise may a RT file app will do the trick eventually.

OP
A

adambravo

Why not use a Cloud service like skydrive on your phone and then skydrive on your Surface to view your photos.

Because when I travel I don't always have access to WiFi--particularly in Europe or Japan, where it's often either not available or stunningly expensive.

And, to the question about using a desktop pc to put the photos on a memory stick--well, that idea doesn't work well when traveling, either.

Keep those ideas coming...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes, he does--and, unfortunately, he also notes the inability to extract photos from the iPhone...

Keep the ideas coming? Ok contact Apple and ask them why their devices are closed off and don't support standard usb drag and drop file sharing ;)

JP

OP
A

adambravo

Keep the ideas coming? Ok contact Apple and ask them why their devices are closed off and don't support standard usb drag and drop file sharing ;)

JP

Well, since I can drag and drop files from my iPhone onto a Win8, a Win7, or a WinXP machine, I think the ball goes into Microsoft's court, since they seem to have done something to the file explorer in Win8RT that removes that capability...

ZachBui

so I plugged in my iphone 4s, it has a passcode on it, so I made sure to unlock it first. I saw the DCIM folder and all the photos/videos on it. I can also copy them to the surface desktop.

SO for me, just make sure you have the iphone on the home screen and then plug in the usb to the surface

In that youtube video, he didn't have it at the home screen..But plugged in the iphone at the lockscreen

Last edited:
OP
A

adambravo

so I plugged in my iphone 4s, it has a passcode on it, so I made sure to unlock it first. I saw the DCIM folder and all the photos/videos on it. I can also copy them to the surface desktop.

SO for me, just make sure you have the iphone on the home screen and then plug in the usb to the surface

In that youtube video, he didn't have it at the home screen..But plugged in the iphone at the lockscreen

Brilliant! Thanks! Give yourself a gold star...