What's new

Accessory? Keyboard to SP3 cord for airplanes

jmose

Is there a connector cord available that sits between the SP3 and the keyboard? The cord would only have to be a foot or so long

When on an airplane, I'd like to use the keyboard independently of the tablet itself. For example, hang the tablet on the seatback hook, and put the keyboard on the tray table. This would be a huge upgrade over a laptop, which is useless on a plane these days. When the SP3 is connected directly to the keyboard, the same problem exists as with laptops.

For bonus points, a battery could be added to this cable, extending the Sp3's charge.

Thanks,
Jim

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah true... there could still be some of these floating around out there despite MS having discontinued this item.

r0b123

Will that adapter work with the SP3 type cover? I need to occasionally disconnect the keyboard and would love to use the keyboard separately in certain situations as described above, meetings, plane, etc. Seems the MS online store doesn't have this in stock but Amazon does.

Liam2349

I was really hoping the new Type Cover would work wireless with the Pro 3 without an adapter, but unfortunately not.

I considered purchasing the adapter for SP2 but concluded it defeats the portability, and it's another thing to carry. You can't just disconnect the keyboard and use it wireless, you have to get an adapter out of your bag, didn't like the concept.

Perhaps with SP4, the keyboard will be wireless.

bluegrass

I bought one and very rarely used it. I'll have to test it to see how it works on the SP3 keyboard. It might just be the ticket to fit your needs. I really can't see hanging the SP3 on a seatback in a plane would work. Were you thinking of using the kickstand to hold it in the seat pocket? I think it would require MacGyver to engineer something to fasten the SP to the seatback.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought one and very rarely used it. I'll have to test it to see how it works on the SP3 keyboard. It might just be the ticket to fit your needs. I really can't see hanging the SP3 on a seatback in a plane would work. Were you thinking of using the kickstand to hold it in the seat pocket? I think it would require MacGyver to engineer something to fasten the SP to the seatback.
All the keyboards will work with SP3 and use the same interface so I don't see why it wouldn't work but the conclusive test is to try it.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Mine works great. I don't think Microsoft made a wise choice canceling this. Its tubular shape and micro-USB charging (from the Surface power brick) is very handy.

I like the extra fold in the Surface Pro Cover when using this wireless adapter, because it can roll under, making a comfortable wireless keyboard.

Will post a pic...

r0b123

Just to confirm sharpcolarado, this device adapter works with the SP3 type cover? If so, I'll be buying it from Amazon today!

Note that Bluetooth accessories can not be used in flight on commercial aircraft. They are intentional transmitters like a cellphone and are not allowed unless they are in airplane mode - which defeats the purpose of a wireless mouse.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Just to confirm sharpcolarado, this device adapter works with the SP3 type cover? If so, I'll be buying it from Amazon today!

Yes. The Wireless Keyboard Adapter works perfectly with my Surface Pro 3.
(Note that this is at home, not on an aircraft ;))

Screenshot (7).png

Last edited: