What's new

Acronis TI 2014 with SP3

gabe406

I am also a longtime TrueImage user, but have been trying out Macrium Reflect 5.3 with excellent results.

The problem is that Acronis TI 2014 doesn't create WINPE 5.0 rescue media out of the box which is needed for UEFI devices.

Here is a link to the Acronis Forum where somebody has apparenty figured out how to do this.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/54130

I may try this at a later time, but it looks like a bit of work.

With regard to Macrium Reflect, it easily creates a WINPE 5.0 USB bootable disk or iso.

In fact I am using a Zalman VE300 2.5" disk enclosure with a 1TB WD HD. The Zalman enclosure let's me boot from the Macrium iso image and also restores the SP3 image from the enclosure. In other words this can all be done with just one USB port.

Note, one does not need the Zalman VE300, although is nice to have device as one can store many backup images of the SP3. One can also do this with a 64GB USB stick with two partitions.

kurtkurtosis,

I am very curious about creating a single USB recovery solution using Macrium, but I am not sure how to do it. Would it be possible for you to share how its done? Can I use an external USB hard disk and make it bootable with Macrium so all I have to do is connect the HD and boot to it to do a full recovery of images on the HD?

Thanks in advance.

Gabe

leeshor

Here is (just 1) tutorial on making a bootable USB flash drive. http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

In Macrium, under other tasks, there is a selection for creating a recovery image. It offers to download and install/mount a Windows PE file from Microsoft then offers to create either a DVD or an ISO image. Create the ISO on the flash drive.

Jeff Au

One challenge of restoring an image backup is Bitlocker. I presume everyone here has Bitlocker set as on - or is everyone backing & restoring from a non-Bitlocked SSD?

With my other machines (ie Win 7 or earlier), the HDDs were not bitlocked and Acronis works very well (though from here I'm keen to also try out Macrium). With Win8 and Bitlocker, I heard there are issues when restoring etc or is that my wrong assumption?

malberttoo

One challenge of restoring an image backup is Bitlocker. I presume everyone here has Bitlocker set as on - or is everyone backing & restoring from a non-Bitlocked SSD?

With my other machines (ie Win 7 or earlier), the HDDs were not bitlocked and Acronis works very well (though from here I'm keen to also try out Macrium). With Win8 and Bitlocker, I heard there are issues when restoring etc or is that my wrong assumption?

Acronis' official take on the matter- https://kb.acronis.com/content/1734

Basically, images made from within Windows are un-encrypted.

bluegrass

Note, one does not need the Zalman VE300, although is nice to have device as one can store many backup images of the SP3. One can also do this with a 64GB USB stick with two partitions.

Is there a reason you can't just buy any 2.5" USB hard drive to use with Macrium?

I just downloaded the free version. I have no problem with paying for the standard version. I don't understand the 4 pack deal though. Do you need a different pac for each unit you want to backup?

Can you backup as many PC's as you want with the free version of Macrium? I was planning to use Macrium on my Surface RT, SP, SP2, SP3, & my desktop.

Last edited: