What's new

Add Shut Down to Start Menu

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Many people are finding that choosing shutdown options in Windows 10 is made easier by use of the shortcut next to the name of the account at the top of the Start Menu.

But I still like to add a direct "Shutdown" item to my Start Menu:

1. Create a new shortcut on the Desktop to:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

(that is a 'zero' at the end)

2. Change the icon as desired, and create a shortcut key if desired.

3. Drag to Start Menu.

NOTE: After your new item is in the Start Menu, you may also drag it from there to create a tile. Resize as needed.

Screenshot (112).png

Screenshot (113).png

Screenshot (114).png

ScottyS

Great tip.
Changing the switches at the end of the command can be used for a Restart shortcut too. Useful to switch back to Win8.1 if dual booting.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

I also have shortcut to Sleep, but I don't understand the possible switches for it and I don't really understand Standby, Sleep or Connected Sleep and based on the way this works, I think it invokes Hibernate.
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Any further info on these commands would be appreciated.

kundas1

why would you want another shut down in the start menu and clutter the start menu with usless stuff, when you have the shut down next to your name? doesn't make sense to me....

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
One size does not fit all. The ability to tweak and personalize remains a strength of Windows.

Because I use the Surface Pro 3 as a primary work machine, I wanted fewer taps or clicks to shut down, thereby being less of a distraction to others. This saves a click or tap, and some reading (from the menu of shutdown options), which may require reading glasses. In tablet mode, fewer taps.

Not only that, but the legacy keyboard shortcut Alt+ F4 now also requires the Fn key on the Surface keyboards. Why not have my own? So in Keyboard mode, a key shortcut can be added to the shortcut.

For my shortcuts:
Ctrl+Alt+O = Shut Down
Ctrl+Alt+R = Restart

ScottyS

Oh wow, I forgot about keyboard shortcuts. Just made my Restart shortcut use Ctrl+Alt+R too. Now that's the fastest way for me to reboot to change OSs.

And I know it doesn't make sense, but I not only like to make shortcuts (I have a shortcut to Windows Update so I don't have to go through Control Panel) I also make my own icons to customize it even more.

ScottyS

Here are some icons I've made. Some (like Spy vs. Spy, and I suppose the fruit) might actually be copyrighted, and some are modifications of icons I found online, but for non-commercial use...
upload_2014-11-5_1-50-12.png

I've made many more that are specific for products (tools, appliances etc.) so files I save related to the products are in folders that show the item.
These are all ico files with 256, 128, 96, 64, 48 and 32 pixel icons in each.
Of course the ones of the Surface work best if you have your own wallpaper. If anyone's interested they can contact me.