What's new

Addition to my Surface RT ecosystem

SecureRT

Hi,

We had to replace a system at home because, after years of good service, it decided to quit working.
So after some deliberation I bought a Sony Tap 20. Which is a nice addition to the Surface RT I was
already using. The Tap 20 is a 20 inch (huge) tablet that is more or less an all-in-one, but still has a
battery that lasts for 2 hours and a touch screen. I found out that I really learned and appreciate the
metro interface on the Surface. Microsoft is definitely on to something.

SecureRT

TeknoBlast

I'm in the process in building a new Windows 8 desktop. The current box that I have now, I'm going to strip a few parts of it to complete my new build, then complete the stripped box with some low end parts so I can hand it to my wife. The computer my wife uses cant handle Windows 8 that great, so it will stay with Windows 7 and probably sell it or give it away to a family member.

Omni

I'm in the process in building a new Windows 8 desktop. The current box that I have now, I'm going to strip a few parts of it to complete my new build, then complete the stripped box with some low end parts so I can hand it to my wife. The computer my wife uses cant handle Windows 8 that great, so it will stay with Windows 7 and probably sell it or give it away to a family member.

You've made me want to build a new pc. Love tinkering inside pcs, taking parts from one and building another. Shame there dying :(

TeknoBlast

I'm building a smaller form desktop with a BitFenix Prodigy case which houses a mini-ITX. I purchased the i7-4770K haswell CPU, along with a Cosair water cooler. I'm going to pull out my PSU and gaming GPU from my current box and install it on my new build. Going to max it out with 16GB of RAM and add a Samsung 256GB SSD.

It's going to be a beast.

TeknoBlast

Bitfenix_Prodigy_GTX690_zps206cdeb0.jpg

OP
S

SecureRT

What made you decide to go with the Sony Tap 20 rather than a traditional desktop or laptop?

Initially I was looking at a All-In-One because I was looking to replace an Apple iMac. Initially for my youngest son, his iMac died. We have a iMac for 'family' use in the living room.

There were a couple of models of various brands (HP, Asus), and later the Sony Tap 20 caught my eye. There were a couple of machines that had a touch screen, with Windows 8, and I kinda linked the idea of having an Touch Screen All-in-One. Then I saw the Sony Tap 20. It ticked all the boxes, and it looked great. And the esthetics was important (for the missus) because it was a potential replacement for an iMac that is in the living room.

I am, sort of, getting a bored with Apple equipment. The hardware looks great. But Apple badly needs to create an Mac OS XI with some radical changes. Until they are doing that, I'm going to enjoy the Win8.

After unpacking and toying around with the Sony Tap 20 (and the fact my youngest son wanted Win7), I decided to keep the Sony Tap 20, and replace the broken iMac with the one we were using in the living room (bootcamp-ed it). I replace the memory of the Tap 20 with faster memory and upgraded it to 8 gigs. That gave the desired speed we looked for it.

So, various reasons to get and use the Sony Tap 20. And not regretting it at all. It is used as a 'desktop', but I like the idea I can pick it up, and move it around as a tablet (because of the battery) but more important, we found ourselves using the Metro interface, and Touch screen enough (and the Tap 20 is considerably friendlier for the budget). I need to check out the shadow backup thing (can't recall how it is called) of MS and see how I can restore easily so that I can forget a bit the virtues of Apple's Time Machine. TM is still a great feature of Mac OS X.

Cheers....

Telstar1948

Initially I was looking at a All-In-One because I was looking to replace an Apple iMac. Initially for my youngest son, his iMac died. We have a iMac for 'family' use in the living room.

There were a couple of models of various brands (HP, Asus), and later the Sony Tap 20 caught my eye. There were a couple of machines that had a touch screen, with Windows 8, and I kinda linked the idea of having an Touch Screen All-in-One. Then I saw the Sony Tap 20. It ticked all the boxes, and it looked great. And the esthetics was important (for the missus) because it was a potential replacement for an iMac that is in the living room.

I am, sort of, getting a bored with Apple equipment. The hardware looks great. But Apple badly needs to create an Mac OS XI with some radical changes. Until they are doing that, I'm going to enjoy the Win8.

After unpacking and toying around with the Sony Tap 20 (and the fact my youngest son wanted Win7), I decided to keep the Sony Tap 20, and replace the broken iMac with the one we were using in the living room (bootcamp-ed it). I replace the memory of the Tap 20 with faster memory and upgraded it to 8 gigs. That gave the desired speed we looked for it.

So, various reasons to get and use the Sony Tap 20. And not regretting it at all. It is used as a 'desktop', but I like the idea I can pick it up, and move it around as a tablet (because of the battery) but more important, we found ourselves using the Metro interface, and Touch screen enough (and the Tap 20 is considerably friendlier for the budget). I need to check out the shadow backup thing (can't recall how it is called) of MS and see how I can restore easily so that I can forget a bit the virtues of Apple's Time Machine. TM is still a great feature of Mac OS X.

Cheers....

Sounds pretty cool. I have a few Macs (mini, MacBook, couple of iPads & iPhones) as well, and I like the quality of their hardware and software. I like OSX, but like you I'm drawn to W8 and the Surface Pro. I plan to get a Pro before too long and I'll use it to replace my Mac desktop and my iPad. Plan to use the Pro for my main workstation and to take it with me anytime I want. Looking forward to that. Also planning to replace my iPhone with a Windows 8 phone.