What's new

Additional Touch Gestures Needed on the Surface Pro

mlknez

To make the Surface Pro a viable tablet, we are missing some important gestures. We need the equivalent of:

1. Click/Shift-click to select multiple adjacent items
2. Ctrl-a to select all
3. F5, refresh the current app/window

What other gestures do you think are missing or would be necessary if you are using the system without the keyboard?

vook

To make the Surface Pro a viable tablet, we are missing some important gestures. We need the equivalent of:

1. Click/Shift-click to select multiple adjacent items
2. Ctrl-a to select all
3. F5, refresh the current app/window

What other gestures do you think are missing or would be necessary if you are using the system without the keyboard?

Ther is an option to enable full touch keyboard in the settings, but I agree with all if these. ctrl+alt+del would be nice

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well you can bring up the keyboard for Ctrl + A to select all (as well as cut, copy, paste, etc.) or use the select all icon in the explorer ribbon or in list view check the box at the top of the list. To select multiple adjacent items you can touch a blank area and drag your finger to select multiple items just like with a mouse.

The only thing I am not sure how to do is select multiple non-adjacent items (Ctrl + click).

OP
M

mlknez

I wanted to avoid bringing up the keyboard. The select-all is not available in most apps. Ctrl-click type functionality is available in many apps as a finger flick to the right. What you are talking about is just in the desktop area. We need UNIVERSAL gestures.

OP
M

mlknez

Universal gestures such as pinch to zoom are not dependent on the app and are available to all programs that choose to use that functionality. That is what is needed for the 3 that I mentioned as most programs could benefit from them.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Universal gestures such as pinch to zoom are not dependent on the app and are available to all programs that choose to use that functionality. That is what is needed for the 3 that I mentioned as most programs could benefit from them.

The three listed commands seem to be specific to Desktop. Apps have their own ways to accomplish these unless you know those actions aren't available to app developers. For example you can select multiple files in apps like in SkyDrive or Pictures where you can tickle to select individual or swipe up from the bottom to select all.

If you aren't referring to desktop I am not sure what you need since these actions also seem to be available to app developers to implement (tickle or swipe up to access the actions). There doesn't need to be some additional system wide specific gestures just for these items.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Select all

Screenshot (18).png

ArnoldC

There is a Select all from the Desktop, select multiple items, all using touch. Same thing with Modern UI, i.e., Select all, select multiple.