What's new

Adobe XI signatures

Stoliguy

I deal with PDFs on a daily basis that need signatures. We CAN carry USB signature pads (for use with laptops) but it seems that with the latest version of Adobe and a Stylus.. this should be a built-in thing...
somehow though, Adobe doesn't want to play.

I've searched this on here, and google... and haven't come up with many helpful tips... only DIGITAL signatures (previously saved files) which is GREAT for my signatures, but not for the client.

Any ideas?

Dim-Ize

Haven't checked - but, can you import it into OneNote and sign it that way?

I have Office on my SP which includes OneNote. But, I think its available for free as a Metro style app.

I'll give this a shot and report back.

Dim-Ize

This may not be what you're searching for, but: If you don’t already have Microsoft Office, there are cheaper alternatives out there. But if you do, to edit a PDF all you need to do is open your PDF document and then select Print, and Print it to a OneNote file. The new document will automatically load on your computer, where you can then proceed to make changes and save the document as a new PDF file. This is just one of many ways to edit a PDF document, but a very simple one if you already have OneNote installed.

I just opened a PDF file in OneNote and wrote wherever I wanted then saved it to a PDF file. Pretty cool and it was the first time I had actually done it. I think I may use that from now on for some signatures while on the road as opposed to putting my scanned sig in there from Reader.

OP
S

Stoliguy

The documents I need signed have a lot of "check boxes" which must be done digitally by clicking the box... Will One Note allow for this, or would I have to do all that in Adobe first, then print to One Note for the sigs?

Thanks for the help!

Dim-Ize

OneNote didn't allow me to click the boxes. It only allowed me to write on the whole PDF.

Full blown Acrobat will let you do what you want. But, I'm assuming many / most of your clients don't have a license?

Screenshot of how it looks in OneNote: Capture.JPG

curney

I use XI and it kills me that I can't just use the stylus. lame.

I right click to delete the special fields and then have the client initial or sign in the space. its a real signature and its saved digitally but I don't think its what you want. There doesn't seem to be a "legit" option.

curney

OneNote didn't allow me to click the boxes. It only allowed me to write on the whole PDF.

Full blown Acrobat will let you do what you want. But, I'm assuming many / most of your clients don't have a license?

Screenshot of how it looks in OneNote: View attachment 1121

I do this in XI pro and just save it as a pdf. I do have to right click and delete the special field first, but I only have 2 and a signature per document.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You want a program like Revo Bluebeam or Grahl Software PDFAnnotator, both allow for native PDF files and Inking. Bluebeam is very expensive, PDFAnnotator is around $70 USD. Your other option is to open the PDF in Word 2013 which will allow for inking and you can save it back as a PDF.

Dim-Ize

...Your other option is to open the PDF in Word 2013 which will allow for inking and you can save it back as a PDF.

(I hate using this word, but) Dude! Are you kidding me? I just tried this on the SP. That is so awesome!!! That is going to make my life much easier than the cluegy method I was attempting to suggest. This is so great!

OP
S

Stoliguy

Screenshot of how it looks in OneNote: View attachment 1121

I take my Pro to each client.. so them owning it isn't an issue. I have full Acrobat... forces me to attach the sig pad rather than using the attached stylus on the screen.
I've gone to basically doing this with the "print to One Note" deal... it's a pain, but it's the least pain so far.

I use XI and it kills me that I can't just use the stylus. lame.

I right click to delete the special fields and then have the client initial or sign in the space. its a real signature and its saved digitally but I don't think its what you want. There doesn't seem to be a "legit" option.

Agreed. And somehow signing directly into the on-screen document seems so much more "legit" than some shifty looking capture device.

You want a program like Revo Bluebeam or Grahl Software PDFAnnotator, both allow for native PDF files and Inking. Bluebeam is very expensive, PDFAnnotator is around $70 USD. Your other option is to open the PDF in Word 2013 which will allow for inking and you can save it back as a PDF.

Annotator annoys me. I'll give bluebeam a shot.

(I hate using this word, but) Dude! Are you kidding me? I just tried this on the SP. That is so awesome!!! That is going to make my life much easier than the cluegy method I was attempting to suggest. This is so great!

:LOL:

razmichael

Has something changed in XI from X? I'm using X Pro and there are two options I use for "writing" signatures rather than stamping with a picture. Tools-Sign and Certify-Apply Ink Signature allows you to use the stylus and sign. Also, Comment-Drawing Markups includes a pencil that allows you to sign (or draw). Minor issue is the default color will be used - to change this you need to write click on the pencil and change the default tool property. I have also tried a plug-in called AutoInk from Evermap. I have only played with it a bit (trial version) but it adds stuff like converting your inking to text and gives you more options to use. Not overly expensive but not sure yet if I need it.