What's new

Advantages of Windowsw 8 Pro

souldier

So I have Windows 8 Pro that comes installed on the Surface Pro. Are there any advantages that I can realistically capitalize on that the normal Windows 8 doesn't have?

Sin

What do you mean by normal Windows 8? There are different versions of Windows 8 with different feature sets, but pretty sure the Pro has the full version. The Basic don't include certain features that are typically needed or understood by most home users. These are like BitLocker encryption, RemoteDesktop host, joining a domain, etc.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The differences between Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro:

• Provides enhanced data protection with BitLocker and BitLocker To Go to help keep your information secure.
  • Enables you to host a Remote Desktop Connection on your own PC so you can connect to it when you're using a different PC.
  • Connects to your corporate or school network with Domain join.

OP
souldier

souldier

In regards to data encryption, is it automatic, or do I need to set something so that it begins to encrypt my data?

How does one do remote desktop with w8 pro? I haven't seen an application for it anywhere.

ArnoldC

You meant edition, there are only three- standard, professional, and enterprise.

Microsoft has a table on their website for the differences.

Remote Desktop is one of our favorites and we've posted and discussed it in quite detail.

Ps.

This will do-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions#section_3

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Both are found in the desktop version of the Control Panel, RDP under the Systems Control Panel and Bitlocker under the Bitlocker Control Panel.

So I have Windows 8 Pro that comes installed on the Surface Pro. Are there any advantages that I can realistically capitalize on that the normal Windows 8 doesn't have?

Ability to join a domain.

Probably the most important feature, and critical for enterprise use. There are also some advanced management tools in 8 Pro that are lacking in the standard version, such as DNS management and Wins.

hoodie

These will be massive in hospitals. Many IT departments in hospitals have been hesitant to use tablets because the go to is the ipad. Being able to keep their windows domains and maintain security with these tablets will be huge. Frankly I am surprised it took M$ so long.

ScottyS

Yes, I have been using mine in the hospital where I work for our EMR (electronic medical record), diagnostic imaging, etc. Remote desktop is fantastic as I can connect to my office computer from anywhere on the hospital campus.