What's new

[AESTHETICS] Blacking out the vent grille

ptrkhh

Before anyone complained, don't expect any productivity-related information nor discussion in this thread. This is going to be about aesthetics, mostly. If you don't like it, you can click on something else. For example, you can pick up the stapler that's sitting on your desk, open it up, and click it right on your face.

For those who are interested in the aesthetics part of the SP3, I got a brilliant million-dollar idea. The idea is, as you might have probably guessed, to color the vent grille black. Just like the vision of the SP3, it has to feel like a fanless machine, even though it has a fan. In the SP3 presentation in NYC half a year ago, Panos mentioned: "You cant feel it. You cant hear it. You cant even, see it"

Well, yeah, the first two have been correct in most of my usage, but not the last one. Since the SP3 got a new, brighter color, everything gets brighter. That, sadly, includes the vent grille. The recessed vent grille disappeared if it was dark, as we have seen in the SP1 and SP2. But, clearly, the silver color exaggerates the vent grille, as if they were saying "HERE THIS IS A COMPUTER THAT TIM COOK IS TRYING TO COOK OFF THE MARKET".

Anyway, I have included some photoshopped picture of the blacked out vent grille to see how it looks. And perhaps, you could give an idea how to do that easily and neatly. My idea now only consists of a) coloring it with pencil and b) coloring it with pen

sp3ventmod.jpg

Sound off how you think about that, and your idea how to do it neatly and easily :D

ctitanic

And how do you want to do this? Yeah, I know that you an asking but I really do not see an elegant way to do it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll need a little tiny paint brush a steady hand and a lot of patience. :)

Spray painting not recommended as you would get it all over the insides.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, i bought this for me, not others, and the vents are not visible during use. Seems more effort than it's worth to me.

olimjj

Before anyone complained, don't expect any productivity-related information nor discussion in this thread. This is going to be about aesthetics, mostly. If you don't like it, you can click on something else. For example, you can pick up the stapler that's sitting on your desk, open it up, and click it right on your face.

For those who are interested in the aesthetics part of the SP3, I got a brilliant million-dollar idea. The idea is, as you might have probably guessed, to color the vent grille black. Just like the vision of the SP3, it has to feel like a fanless machine, even though it has a fan. In the SP3 presentation in NYC half a year ago, Panos mentioned: "You cant feel it. You cant hear it. You cant even, see it"

Well, yeah, the first two have been correct in most of my usage, but not the last one. Since the SP3 got a new, brighter color, everything gets brighter. That, sadly, includes the vent grille. The recessed vent grille disappeared if it was dark, as we have seen in the SP1 and SP2. But, clearly, the silver color exaggerates the vent grille, as if they were saying "HERE THIS IS A COMPUTER THAT TIM COOK IS TRYING TO COOK OFF THE MARKET".

Anyway, I have included some photoshopped picture of the blacked out vent grille to see how it looks. And perhaps, you could give an idea how to do that easily and neatly. My idea now only consists of a) coloring it with pencil and b) coloring it with pen

sp3ventmod.jpg

Sound off how you think about that, and your idea how to do it neatly and easily :D
I would suggest an extra fine point black Magic Marker pen (non indelible) in case you want to reverse it.

mohcho

I like how that looks (not talking about the nasty black teeth), but the hidden vent holes.

I don't see how this would void warranty? It'd be less intrusive than a sticker cover.