What's new

After 4 1/2 months, my Surface has died

Trovahead

The battery had gone down and I had left it charging. After a few hours, nothing! I have tried different outlets, the light on the charger is on - but I get no response from any combination of power/volume buttons or anything. :cry:
Could it be the battery instead of the device? Has anyone had experience exchanging their device? I use my Surface everyday at work and am hoping the turn around time isn't too long. If anyone has any ideas on how to revive a bricked Surface before I send it back, please share. Thanks!!

kristalsoldier

Not good! I do hope you are able to RMA it. Would also be good to know what happened to you unit. Btw, as soon as I read your post, I immediately switched on my Surface, which is also on the mains!

The battery had gone down and I had left it charging. After a few hours, nothing! I have tried different outlets, the light on the charger is on - but I get no response from any combination of power/volume buttons or anything. :cry:
Could it be the battery instead of the device? Has anyone had experience exchanging their device? I use my Surface everyday at work and am hoping the turn around time isn't too long. If anyone has any ideas on how to revive a bricked Surface before I send it back, please share. Thanks!!

getting mine exchanged at the moment. Only option currently in the US is send in your defective device and receive replacement. Was on the phone for 5 minutes to determine it's hardware and setup FEDEX shipment. Seeing your problem you should not have any issues to RMA it. It's standard overnight and depending on where you are you may get it back within a few days but not later than a week. In my case it is a problem with the touchscreen.
Of course this will vary depending on where you are. Good luck!
cheers

Last edited:
OP
Trovahead

Trovahead

I live in Oregon - so if it's going to Redmond, WA, that's just a stone's throw away. For those who have done returns, did you get a new device or a refurbished one?
Thanks again!

Afy

I hope you didnt have a ton of personal data on the Surface, and removed your expansion card before shipping.

sure did. You actually receive an email from MS with instructions on what to do before you ship.
Remove everything and only ship the device itself, backup, backup, sync to skydrive..... backup.

OP
Trovahead

Trovahead

When I spoke to Surface support, they told me they would be sending a new unit and not a refurb. I really miss my surface!!

m9001

Mine died after two weeks. It went into what has been dubbed "secure boot loader loop" by those who have fallen victim. After two hours wasted in vain attempts with the online chat help people to reboot, they send you a FedEx return label to the depot in Texas. It went overnight and arrived on Wednesday, I assume. The online "in process" notice finally changed to "received" on the Saturday following. I have no idea how much longer it will take to get a replacement (which I hope is not a refurb.) This is apparently not a rare problem if you google the title it has been given. Unacceptable for a thousand dollar investment and obviously dangerous as you can't wipe your information before sending it in for service since it won't boot.