What's new

After 4 1/2 months, my Surface has died

bosamar

If you go to 'My Profile" in the forum and then select 'About me' you can select that you are a RT or Pro owner.

badham21

I live in Oregon - so if it's going to Redmond, WA, that's just a stone's throw away. For those who have done returns, did you get a new device or a refurbished one?
Thanks again!
my screen cracked for no apparent reason, so eventually, after a long battle with Microsoft, they decided they would replace it, I got a replacement, not refurbished

Mine was a 64GB RT.
wanted to report back that my replacement came back after exactly a week. However, after no status change until half-time I contacted MS. They couldn't tell me much. Then I posted on Twitter @Surface and minutes later the status changed and a few hours later shipped (coincidence? - maybe, maybe not).
I inspected everything when I got it and everything seemed to be perfect (looks new and battery shows full capacity, although that can probably be manipulated). Anyway, only a few days later I just noticed a dead pixel third from top and right. I am bummed... Eventually I will get this resolved but right now I am tired of waiting... Maybe I take the 1hour trip to the next MS Store on the weekend after I call to see if they have the 64Gb RT in stock.
hope you will have better luck with yours
cheers

edit: still the only way to exchange is associated with a 7-10day wait. The rep called the closest store for me and they will exchange it for me when I walk in. Will do just that in the next couple days.

Last edited:
OP
Trovahead

Trovahead

My brand new replacement arrived today - it's updating happily. Exactly one week after I sent out my dead one. So far, everything looks great - bookmarked websites came up on the start menu, but I guess I need to rely on my memory for previously downloaded apps. Thank you microsoft! :big smile:

Eventually I will get this resolved but right now I am tired of waiting... Maybe I take the 1hour trip to the next MS Store on the weekend after I call to see if they have the 64Gb RT in stock.
hope you will have better luck with yours
cheers

edit: still the only way to exchange is associated with a 7-10day wait. The rep called the closest store for me and they will exchange it for me when I walk in. Will do just that in the next couple days.

was down at the MS Store today. They took my RT with bad pixel. Store clerk was making a joke with me first. "No, sorry Sir, we can't exchange it", then saying "just kidding". No problems with exchange. They even gave me the entire new box. Only when I got home I realized that the power adapter was also in there.
Looking back at the previous exchange via shipping I must say that I believe that the first replacement I received looked more like a refurbished unit. This unit is perfect perfect even for an OCD person like myself ;).

Omni

Seems odd to me why you can't do advanced exchanges like we can in the UK. I got a brand new surface in 2 days and then sent my old one back.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Seems odd to me why you can't do advanced exchanges like we can in the UK. I got a brand new surface in 2 days and then sent my old one back.

MS cancelled advanced exchanges due to supply issues. They can't send you a new one if they don't have it to send ;)